Author Topic: What Do You Want? (Spin-Off of "Is this the new thing in grocery shopping?")  (Read 6918 times)

Redneck Gravy

Make it mandatory that all tobacco sales take place at the customer service desk instead of the regular cash registers. It seems like I always get stuck behind someone who needs cigarettes so the cashier has to leave the register, go get them from behind the service desk, come back, only to find out that the customer wanted the 100's instead of the regular packs. So the cashier again leaves the register only to come back with what she thinks is the correct type only to find that the customer wants the hard pack instead of the soft pack. Or they are out of the exact ones that the customer wants so we have to wait until the customer decide whether or not to take a different brand or type. The cashier should not be running back and forth between the register in the service desk. Either have someone available 100 percent of the time to run and get these items or make all tobacco sales at the service desk so the other customers don't have to wait

While I don't DISAGREE with this...  I am frustrated that last week/month I could buy a single pack of cigs at every cash register, now I cannot and I didn't know it until I got in the "wrong" line.  Just pick one method or the other and stick to it!

Redneck Gravy

I don't really care who tracks my purchases.  I'm pretty sure that Amazon checks to see if I'm alive if I haven't placed an order from them in a couple of weeks.  I'm glad somebody cares.

But I have a stack of loyalty cards several inches thick that would never fit in my wallet, which means that I forget them at home most of the time.  Why has nobody jumped on the opportunity to turn this into an ap?

This is the reason I won't do any loyalty cards - the last thing I need is another "tag" on my freaking key chain or another thick card in my wallet.   Either you are offering the best prices or you aren't and if you aren't I am going somewhere else. 

dawbs

I don't really care who tracks my purchases. I'm pretty sure that Amazon checks to see if I'm alive if I haven't placed an order from them in a couple of weeks.  I'm glad somebody cares.

But I have a stack of loyalty cards several inches thick that would never fit in my wallet, which means that I forget them at home most of the time.  Why has nobody jumped on the opportunity to turn this into an ap?

Ha! You and me both  ;D

They have. there are several on both the itunes and android markets, most free
The one I use is Keyring and I even have my library card on it.

Yup, the Keyring app and I are friends.
And it even has a "if this barcode won't scan, this is what the cashier should type in" button  :D

I would be happier if I didn't have to have apps for everything though.  While I like the "here, 40% off one item" coupon being on my smartphone, I'd rather EVERYTHING be 20% less and not ahve to waste the energy to play the game.

oogyda

One thing I'd like to see in more grocery stores is something I have seen in one store in our area.

It's a refrigerated display that is stocked with milk, orange juice, eggs and cheese.  Next to it is a display stocked with bread and a couple other "basics". 

It's so nice not to have to go to the far back corner just to pick up that gallon of milk I came in for. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
We really don't have many problems with local supermarkets.  Since we shop several days a week, we never have huge orders.  Almost everything we buy goes into our carry bags. 

One of the few things  I would suggest is a wider aisle in the produce area.  In our stores, produce is the first department you see.  In the entryway, shoppers are getting carts and baskets, checking the fliers for sales and coupons and generally dithering about. 

People are also picky about produce. I admit to doing this myself.  They take their time over onions, oranges and lettuce.    This causes traffic jams at the beginning of the store.  Also, at the rear of the produce aisle is the Deli and the bakery.  That means more lines and more delays.  A wider aisle would help.

I also dislike the drag-along carts. These are like wheeled over-the-arm baskets and they're a menace.  You can see when someone is carrying a shopping basket.  You can see when someone is wheeling a traditional cart.  You can't  always see the drag-alongs because they top out at about the level of the knees.

The problem intensifies when shoppers delegate the management of the drag-along to a young
child.  The kid can handle it because it works much like pulling a wagon but young children are easily distracted and pull the thing all over the place. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR

There are several. I've tried them all - they work inconsistently, and tend to freak out cashiers.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
One thing I'd like to see in more grocery stores is something I have seen in one store in our area.

It's a refrigerated display that is stocked with milk, orange juice, eggs and cheese.  Next to it is a display stocked with bread and a couple other "basics". 

It's so nice not to have to go to the far back corner just to pick up that gallon of milk I came in for. 

You know, except for the 'non-candy' lane, every single one of these I think is at my local Publix.

- Case for grab and go essentials at the front
-Separate line for deli foods only
- lots of baggers who will carry out for you
- cigarettes and lotto only at the front counter
- enforced 10 items lines and lots of cashiers
- extra wide aisles in produce and near the deli/bakery
- no loyalty cards

Gee... there's a reason I always go there. LOL I didn't remember how much I preferred it until I went to the local Kroger once, out of curiosity (it was our only real option in Little Rock, except for Wal-mart). Now I remember why I stopped going there cold turkey when we moved back to Publix territory.

mmswm

You know, except for the 'non-candy' lane, every single one of these I think is at my local Publix.

- Case for grab and go essentials at the front
-Separate line for deli foods only
- lots of baggers who will carry out for you
- cigarettes and lotto only at the front counter
- enforced 10 items lines and lots of cashiers
- extra wide aisles in produce and near the deli/bakery
- no loyalty cards

Gee... there's a reason I always go there. LOL I didn't remember how much I preferred it until I went to the local Kroger once, out of curiosity (it was our only real option in Little Rock, except for Wal-mart). Now I remember why I stopped going there cold turkey when we moved back to Publix territory.

I've never had a problem buying cigarettes in a regular lane at Publix.  I tend to ask for them first thing and the bagger runs up to get them while the cashier continues to scan my order, so we don't waste time. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

lowspark

Three words:
Training, Training, Training.

Just yesterday it took me twice as long to check out as it should have because the cashier had no idea what most of the produce was that I was buying. Brussels Sprouts, Napa Cabbage & a cucumber were especially troublesome.

There is a proper way to bag groceries by packing like items together and not overloading. In addition to making the bags at least somewhat even as opposed to ultra heavy & ultra light, please don't bag my raw meat in with my produce.

Both baggers and cashiers need to be trained because as often as not, the cashiers are doing the bagging.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
1.  Stop rearranging the store.  I know of one chain that deliberately moves everything every 6 months or so.  I guess the idea is that when they change up the aisles, the customer has to spend more time looking, and therefore may end up buying more.  But if all I want is that one brand of cat treats because Mr. Baxter only likes the one brand, I don't want to waste my time wandering around the store knowing that I have a very upset cat at home.

2.  As a follow up to lowspark, I once had a grocery cashier who asked me if my item was snow peas.  Um, no, those are Brussels sprouts.  The entire store was like that: high school kids who didn't know ANYTHING, and a manager who spent her time lining things up exactly one inch from the edge of the shelf.  The store went under.  Big surprise.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
RebeccainGA, I lived in FL for 22 yrs, and Publix was my favorite grocery store. When I moved to Bergen County, NJ, I really miised Publix. Honestly, the grocery stores in NE NJ left a lot to be desired (like stepping back in time, and not in a good way). The only good place was Trader Joe's.

Now I'm in Central NJ and have Wegmans close by. Finally, a store as great as Publix!  :)

mmswm

RebeccainGA, I lived in FL for 22 yrs, and Publix was my favorite grocery store. When I moved to Bergen County, NJ, I really miised Publix. Honestly, the grocery stores in NE NJ left a lot to be desired (like stepping back in time, and not in a good way). The only good place was Trader Joe's.

Now I'm in Central NJ and have Wegmans close by. Finally, a store as great as Publix!  :)

I grew up in Miami.  Several years ago I moved to North Dakota.  Medical issues brought me to Washington State.  A number of reasons brought me back to Miami in December.  The only thing I was looking forward to in moving back here was Publix.  They are the best grocery store in the world, in my opinion. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

msulinski

Two things:

1. Don't allow checks in the express lines. This is the worst possible way to pay for anything.

2. Implement a line mechanism where I wait in 1 line and go to the next available cashier. I like this arrangement so much better than getting stuck behind the slowest person in the store while watching people who got in other lines after me check out and leave. Currently, its like a game trying to figure out who looks like they can check out quickly without causing trouble for the cashier or paying by check.

JeanFromBNA

We've got Publix here, and I go miles out of my way to shop there.  Very service oriented, clean, friendly (but not pushy).

Guess I need to look for that keyring ap when I get my new phone.  The only loyalty card that I carry now is Panera, because I never know when I'm going to get a free cookie, and I like free cookies.

cicero

• Super Hero!
Two things:

1. Don't allow checks in the express lines. This is the worst possible way to pay for anything.

um wait - the *worst* possible way is the person using small change *and* using coupons. urgh.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools