Author Topic: "Hanging out" in Public.  (Read 7709 times)

snowdragon

"Hanging out" in Public.
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
 I went swimming at the Y today and ran into a situation that I did not know how to handle. I was in the Hot Tub watching the swimmers to see if I could get for a water walking work out when  one of the young men ( 18-21 range)  got out of the water and pulled up his trunks and "popped out" if you get my drift. He started walking toward the hot tub and apparently didn't notice the issue.
    One of the guards noticed and whispered something to him, but it made me wonder what is the way to handle something like this if it ( Go-d forbid) happens again. How would this be addressed and cause the least amount of embarrassment?

Betelnut

Re: "Hanging out" in Public.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:42:46 PM »
"Sir, your penis is showing."
Native Texan, Marylander currently

mstigerlily

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »
I just saw this on Friends and liked it:
(by Gunther) Sir, this is a family [restaurant, etc]. Put the mouse back in the house.

nuit93

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
"Your junk fell out of your trunks."

LeveeWoman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »
I am rolling on the floor, guys!

GSNW

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:20:53 PM »
Good grief.  "Excuse me, your trunks have been pulled asunder."  I don't know, but the friends quote cracked me up.  How awkward.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
These are all funny responses. And I'm laughing with you. But what would you really say in this instance? A stranger who's having an issue like this?

It's kind of along the same lines as a male who notices a "stain" on a female (that he doesn't know) skirt or pants?

Opposite gender and something really personal - what's the best way to approach it?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »
I would just look away and hope he doesn't get into the hot tub with me.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:28:09 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

SiotehCat

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
If I were close enough to him, I would have tossed my towel/rag in that general area to at least cover it up. That would give me a little time to get closer and quietly tell him to fix himself.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
If I was the only one in the hot tub, I think I'd wait until he was settled under the water and then say something (quietly) along the lines of checking the fit of his swim trunks.  And then I'd make my exit to either go do my workout or head home.

If there were other people there, especially someone more in his peer group, I think I'd wait and hope that one of them would say something.

I can just imagine one of my nephews, in a loud voice, 'Dude, the stallion's on the loose.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »
"You've released the hound!"
No?  ;D

In all honesty I think I'd be too embarrassed to say anything.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
Sir, I don't think you meant to free willy. >:D

Too much?

I have to admit that would be ackward.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
These are all funny responses. And I'm laughing with you. But what would you really say in this instance? A stranger who's having an issue like this?

It's kind of along the same lines as a male who notices a "stain" on a female (that he doesn't know) skirt or pants?

Opposite gender and something really personal - what's the best way to approach it?

I don't think it's equivalent: a stain on my pants might be embarrassing, but it's not sexual (for me or the hypothetical viewer). This isn't about hoping that what you're seeing on someone's skirt is brown paint or some kind of sauce, rather than anything more personal: it's the actual part of this guy's body.

Given the choice, I would much rather be warned discreetly by a stranger (of any gender) that I had accidentally exposed a nipple (or my private parts), so I could re-cover it, than be spoken to by a police officer, told to leave the pool area by a lifeguard, or yelled at by someone who was upset that her children might see.

I think I would say something quietly, maybe "your fly is open" rather than something cute (even if I thought of a cute phrasing quickly) and then turn/walk away, to minimize his embarrassment.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

doodlemor

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
"Sir, please don't be embarrassed that I am telling you this....... you need to adjust your swimming trunks."

Probably it wouldn't be ehell approved to smile and say "Mazel tof!" after he adjusted his trunks.  Phoebe said this on Friends after catching a glimpse of Chandler.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:03:11 PM by doodlemor »

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
I'd be a lot more embarrassed by some big production or cutesy phrase. What's wrong with a quiet, "You need to check your swimsuit"?