Author Topic: "Hanging out" in Public.  (Read 7809 times)

Valentines Mommy

Re: "Hanging out" in Public.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
In all seriousness, a quiet word with the gentleman would probably be best. It would be embarrassing no matter how he was told. Best to keep it low key.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
I'd be a lot more embarrassed by some big production or cutesy phrase. What's wrong with a quiet, "You need to check your swimsuit"?

Yep.

Look him in the *eyes* and say, "you should check your swimsuit."

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
I think I'd grab the nearest guy and ask him to convey a message to the unintentional flasher.  Barring that, I'd probably walk by and say, "Check your shorts" as unobtrusively as possible.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
You assume it's unintentional - there are guys who get off on flashing strangers, especially women.  I won't hazard a guess about what percentage of indecent exposure is intentional and how much is accidental, but I'm guessing the chances are decently even.  Since I have absolutely no interest in actually approaching a guy who is getting his rocks off by including me in his fantasies without my approval, I would either ignore it or tell an appropriate authority (if it looks like the guy will be around that area for a while and I can't just leave).

Amava

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:48 PM »
Just politely and quietly tell him he may want to adjust his clothing.

It's a penis. It's not the end of the world.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »
Just politely and quietly tell him he may want to adjust his clothing.

I like this phrasing as well as KenveeB's.  You need to check/adjust your swimsuit.   

Plus - tee hee. You are all hilarious! ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
Tea Drinker, maybe not quite the same. But I am interested in finding out what people would do for real. Maybe some people here would do a funny statement. But I wouldn't. It's not something that I'd be able to do. So I'm curious what the options are.

My point with my example was that it's something of a personal nature (and I'll grant you that maybe a nipple's showing is a better example) applying to a stranger. And wondering what the etiquettely-approved solution is.

ETA: And while the below may be true, I'd still be too embarrassed to say some kinds of things in this situation.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:52:31 PM by DottyG »

sweetonsno

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »
Yikes. Definitely alert him if nobody else has. I once walked halfway around the pool with one side of my bikini top misplaced and flashed at least fifty people in doing so. I really wish one of the first ones had let me know.

Anyway, my MO for wardrobe malfunctions is to make direct eye contact, then glance at the area that needs adjustment. I might also discreetly be a "mirror" and show them what needs attention. However, in this particular instance, I'd probably flag down a nearby male to clue him in.

The phrasing from PPs (*snort*) made me crack up, but I agree that it might be less funny to be on the receiving end.

Amava

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 11:57:13 PM »
Tea Drinker, maybe not quite the same. But I am interested in finding out what people would do for real. Maybe some people here would do a funny statement. But I wouldn't. It's not something that I'd be able to do. So I'm curious what the options are.

My point with my example was that it's something of a personal nature (and I'll grant you that maybe a nipple's showing is a better example) applying to a stranger. And wondering what the etiquettely-approved solution is.

ETA: And while the below may be true, I'd still be too embarrassed to say some kinds of things in this situation.

I can only speak for myself but I would certainly not make it into a joke or a witty statement. I would just politely and quietly tell him that his clothes weren't sitting right. Just like I would want to be treated if I were in his situation.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »
"Your weeble is wobblin'!" >:D

Honestly, I'd look the guy in the eyes, raise my eyebrows, and say as discreetly as I could, "You may want to check your trunks..."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

demarco

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 12:04:33 AM »
You assume it's unintentional - there are guys who get off on flashing strangers, especially women.  I won't hazard a guess about what percentage of indecent exposure is intentional and how much is accidental, but I'm guessing the chances are decently even.  Since I have absolutely no interest in actually approaching a guy who is getting his rocks off by including me in his fantasies without my approval, I would either ignore it or tell an appropriate authority (if it looks like the guy will be around that area for a while and I can't just leave).

This is exactly what I was thinking. There is no way I would say anything to this guy.  I would probably alert a staff member and leave the area. 

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 01:07:12 AM »

This is exactly what I was thinking. There is no way I would say anything to this guy.  I would probably alert a staff member and leave the area.

Same.  I've had this happen to me, and I was running over in my mind the various ways to tell the guy to check his clothing when I realised there was no way it could have been accidental. 

I'd vote for going to male staff and asking them to handle it.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »

Same.  I've had this happen to me, and I was running over in my mind the various ways to tell the guy to check his clothing when I realised there was no way it could have been accidental. 

I'd vote for going to male staff and asking them to handle it.
i don't know if it is intentional or not - but *I* would be embarrassed to say something. I would alert a male staff member.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TamJamB

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 06:43:56 AM »
For heavens sake, it's just a penis. I don't see the huge deal. There is no evidence AT ALL that the slip was intentional, so I don't see the point of going there.

In any case, the quickest way to get him tucked away is to tell him about it quickly.  "Sir, you need to adjust your swimsuit," said in a quiet and calm tone, is the best way to achieve it.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:53 AM »
I would say something quickly, quietly and discreetly. If the guy doesn't fix it or reacts in any way that indicates that it was intentional, then I would look for a staff member and relate it, stressing the reaction that made me uneasy.

This way, if it was innocent, then it was sorted out quickly and with the least embarrassment. If it wasn't, then the staff will also have that information, as intentional flashers may act all innocent if someone in authority calls them out.