Author Topic: "Hanging out" in Public.  (Read 7432 times)

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
Re: "Hanging out" in Public.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 07:02:49 AM »
This has happened to me. All I had to do was catch his eye and say "
excuse me, you...." And make a small gesture  to the area. He looked down, quickly turned red, thanked me and that was that. It happens. I doubt it was "intentional"
As some have pointed out. Also, the "stain" Dotty was referring to I do believe she meant stains of the monthly kind. I've also been told about those. I had a woman step behind me and whisper "you should check your pants" I instantly knew what she meant and was able to remedy the situation. I thanked her and slipped on my jacket. We are human. These things happen. Not a big deal.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:24:13 AM by Van down by the river »

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 08:01:18 AM »
I like the word "malfunction." As in, "You seem to have a swimsuit malfunction."

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »
I like the word "malfunction." As in, "You seem to have a swimsuit malfunction."

Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake have made a great contribution to our accidental-exposure lexicon.  ;D

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »
If I am close enough and able to quietly mention things (with one of the many fabulous suggestions already given), then I would probably try to help. But in the situation mentioned where someone else stepped up, I think it's best to look away and act like nothing happened. The poor guy is going to wonder who else may have seen him and I would not want to add to his embarrassment by staring.

demarco

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »
For heavens sake, it's just a penis. I don't see the huge deal. There is no evidence AT ALL that the slip was intentional, so I don't see the point of going there.

If it's no huge deal why bother to tell him about it? 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
For heavens sake, it's just a penis. I don't see the huge deal. There is no evidence AT ALL that the slip was intentional, so I don't see the point of going there.

To prevent him from being embarrassed.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

nuit93

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »

To prevent him from being embarrassed.

Or arrested for indecent exposure.

gen xer

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
 Oh brother....I can't imagine that he wouldn't notice himself within a minute or two max ( granted that could be a loooooong minute or two ).  I honestly don't think I could bring  myself to say anything and just hope he realizes his "freedom" on his own.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »

That almost implies the choices are "Not a big deal, so it shouldn't even be addressed." or "Visible Penis!!! He must be a predator! Call 911, shield the children!!!"

Nah, I don't think so :) The penis being visible isn't a huge deal, because accidents sometimes happen, and hey, it's only a penis. He's not erect, he's not being lewd, it's just the flaccid penis of some guy who's going for a swim. Telling him would be the nice thing to do. Look him in the eye and tell him he needs to adjust his suit. Don't be cutesy, don't poke fun.
Utah

TamJamB

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »
What Moray said.  It was no big deal in the sense that it was an accident; the kind of thing that could happen to anyone.  There is no need to assume evil intent on his part - in fact, I think it's pretty rude to jump to a conclusion that he's some sort of pervert based on this accident.  Still, in our society, we cover our genitals in public, so in order to save embarassment for him and onlookers, the decent thing to do to bring it to his attention so he can make adjustments.  No. Big. Deal.

This sort of thing really can happen to anyone.  Back in the 1990's, we used to wear romper dresses -- short sundresses with very full shorts instead of skirts.  I was at a party in an outdoor bar and one of my romper legs got flipped up in the back.  I was wearing thong underwear, so one of my buttcheeks was fully exposed.  Another partygoer whispered to me, "Hey, flip your dress down -- your @&& is hanging out."  I was glad that someone brought it to my attention so I could fix the problem before I flashed the entire room.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
I would also catch his eye, then quietly recommend he check his swimsuit.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
Count me in the group who would find the nearest male and ask him to inform the guy that he's flashing people. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem saying something but I think it would probably be a whole lot less embarrassing to the "flasher" if it came from another guy.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Margo

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »
Count me in the group who would find the nearest male and ask him to inform the guy that he's flashing people. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem saying something but I think it would probably be a whole lot less embarrassing to the "flasher" if it came from another guy.

I think approaching one male stranger and asking him to tell a second stranger that their penis is hanging out would be more embarrassing, and would result in it becoming a much bigger issue, than just saying something directly. Surely you then end up with 3 embarrassed people instead of two, plus the guy you approach may be equally reluctant to say anything to a stranger. I think if you can't say something yourself you're better not saying anything at all, except to a member of staff.

I'd go with a quick "excuse me, you need to check your trunks/shorts" and then move quickly on. I'd only speak to a staff member if I had reason to think it was deliberate.

Amara

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »
I would approach a male staff member first too, though if one wasn't available I'd speak up (quietly) rather than have the poor guy "waiting." At least that's the way I handled it once when I, as part of a small grad school class, went to a well-known older comedian's home. I noticed his zipper was down and promptly turned to the guy next to me and whispered what I saw and that he might want to alert the man. Then I turned my attention elsewhere. The guy did quietly alert him and all was fine within about a minute.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »
I have had swimsuit malfunctions before (ten years on a team; the wrong suit and an enthusiastic start off the blocks can do that to you), and I am so glad no one else ever deal with it by going and telling someone else. That would make an embarrassing situation about ten times worse. There's no need to spread the word; just quietly tell the person, avoid eye contact, and walk away.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah