44 (49.4%)
Prudent
4 (4.5%)
We're all a bunch of children
37 (41.6%)
Different answer
4 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: False fart: Is it a penalty?  (Read 2827 times)

Sign Of The Times

• Padawan
Re: False fart: Is it a penalty?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 10:31:33 PM »
I'm also not the originator of the nickname. I guess I failed to know my audience; for this I am sorry.

Just a hypothetical question for anyone. If one half of a married couple *insists* on acting like a parent to the other, what incentive does the other half *ever* have to grow up? If Caliguletta (is that better?) absolutely must tell her husband how to behave, what reason would he ever have to grow up?

Closer to home for me, any way to invite him without inviting her?
The best way out is always through. -- Frost

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
Rudent.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
I agree with JenJay, though correct me if I am wrong ehellions, but couldn't one half of a social unit get invited if it were guys or girls only?

I think so, yes, but he said they "have" to invite her or the husband won't come. That's why I replied in the spirit of "social unit".

Amara

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
I call it rude. You don't have to like her. But I do think displaying some class by treating her politely would elevate you. Right now your behavior makes you look ... frankly, like a jerk.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
I'm also not the originator of the nickname. I guess I failed to know my audience; for this I am sorry.

Just a hypothetical question for anyone. If one half of a married couple *insists* on acting like a parent to the other, what incentive does the other half *ever* have to grow up? If Caliguletta (is that better?) absolutely must tell her husband how to behave, what reason would he ever have to grow up?

Closer to home for me, any way to invite him without inviting her?

No, because the sentiment is the same. You're comparing her to a bloodthirsty psychopath. Calling people names is rude, full stop.
Utah

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 10:42:07 PM »
Rude.

The same thing, done among friends who like each other would be crass but potentially quite funny - a know your audience type thing.

But intentionally trying to drive a fellow guest out of the room is straight out rude, whether or not you like her, and no matter what offensive nicknames you have for her.

If you only like half of a couple, and the half you like won't come alone you have two choices. You can not invite either of them, and have an unpleasant person free evening, or you can invite both of them and treat them both with the basic level of acceptable hospitality and consideration required.

That means you can address bad behavior if it occurs, but basic politeness does not allow you to invite someone and then treat them badly on the grounds that you don't like them anyways, and wish they hadn't accepted your invitation. It doesn't matter if you don't like the way they interact with their spouse, or disapprove of the relationship dynamics, or wish they hadn't married your friend.

If someone else is the host, and you encounter someone you dislike, you can leave, or you can be civil, and  again, you can certainly address bad behaviour as it occurs. But you can't be rude on the grounds that you don't like them so it's okay to drive them off.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 10:44:54 PM »
As far as the incentive to grow up, a lot of people are born with the intrinsic desire to become more mature and more responsible.  They are pleased when they recognize growth within themselves, they take pleasure in treating others decently and developing mature relationships.  At a certain point they tend to take less pleasure from name calling, hair pulling, playground taunting and the like. 

AnnaJ

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »
Fake farts, Nazi insults, and a desire to drive an invited guest from the room...I didn't bother to vote since this goes way beyond any of the choices.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 11:02:26 PM »
I'm tempted to start my own poll:  a) Is the OP drunk posting  b) trolling c) both. Notice no option for neither or other.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.