Author Topic: Miley Cyrus encourages takeover of magazine stands  (Read 5440 times)

blahblahblah

Miley Cyrus encourages takeover of magazine stands
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »
Miley Cyrus encourages a Cosmo takeover

Thoughts? As someone who has worked in retail, I think this is pretty rude and obnoxious on Miley's part. I would be ticked if I were one of the employees who had to clean this up. I realize that one of her tweets features an employee who was moving the magazines around herself, so obviously not all retail workers have a problem with this. But a large number of them do, if the tweets about fans being asked to leave are any indication.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Miley Cyrus encourages takeover of magazine stands
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
Yeah that's pretty obnoxious.

(And so is that cover with her quote "I've never faked anything" over her posing and faking cleavage by clearly squishing her boobs together with her pose.)

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
Agreed obnoxious and inconsiderate of the person who has move all those magazines back.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »
Anything justified by "people are such squares" is likely to be rude.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
To me it highlights her lack of knowledge of the real world and how this impacts employees and the staff.

I had never had an opinion about her one way or another.  But this action and her use of the B* word to reference her fans makes me really dislike the young woman.

I hope Cosmo has enough class left to request she stop this action as it poorly represents their magazine.

blahblahblah

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:06:09 PM »
I hope Cosmo has enough class left to request she stop this action as it poorly represents their magazine.
Cosmo is actually encouraging it.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
DD went through a Hannah Montana phase.  I almost threw the TV out the window.

Slightly off topic, but it's interesting at least to me how many women "progress" through magazines.  There's the perennial Seventeen, then Glamour, coexisting with Cosmo, then Good Housekeeping and the like  ::), and finally, More, for the "over 40".  We won't get into AARP ;).

I like More because it's about putting ourselves first, finally.  The cover has articles on self-care, money, and our lives.  I'm so glad I'm apparently out of the age where I need yet another article on Scrabble or how to either butter up a man's ego, or not flatten it altogether (what three words are we never supposed to say to a man?  Bring me dinner?  ;D)

End of editorializing ;).

Hillia

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
I miss Mademoiselle.  I used to imagine Sylvia Plath critiquing whatever issue I was reading.

Eta:  ugh, just read the article.  What an entitled little snot.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:41:23 PM by Hillia »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »
Rude, but I'm not surprised.  As long as she gets publicity, what does it matter if it causes inconvenience to employees, customers, and the other magazines who pay for the space?  >:(

ClaireC79

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 05:16:48 PM »
and finally, More, for the "over 40".  We won't get into AARP ;).

I like More because it's about putting ourselves first, finally.

I take it More is a very different magazine there to here in the UK, I remember More from my 5th and 6th form days- together with 'Position of the fortnight'

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 08:12:25 PM »
Rude, but I'm not surprised.  As long as she gets publicity, what does it matter if it causes inconvenience to employees, customers, and the other magazines who pay for the space?  >:(

Yep.  >:(

Someone (Miley) sure has a self inflated sense of self worth and entitlement.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 01:10:53 AM »
I've seen fans do that with CDs, but never at the artist's request. Wonder if Cosmo tweeted her back in support?  Off to look.

ETA: Miley's tweets were 1/31, Cosmo is still retweeting fans as of 7 hours ago. I'd say both are guilty.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:16:25 AM by nolechica »

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »
I'm much more disappointed in Cosmo than I am in Miley.  Don't get me wrong - I think Miley's acting like an immature brat.  But presumably there are lots of people at Cosmo who could say, "Wait, why are we promoting this?"  I would hope the voice of reason would prevail. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
Cosmo is actually encouraging it.

I'm so sad for Cosmo that they think this is ok.

But I got a huge chuckle following that link.  One of the tweets from a fan who sent a pic of a rearrange newstand had the tag line
"happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are, it soley relies on what you think" -Buddha 
I love irony.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
They both fail- Miley for suggesting it, Cosmo for encouraging it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls