Author Topic: Miley Cyrus encourages takeover of magazine stands  (Read 5463 times)

Lynnv

Re: Miley Cyrus encourages takeover of magazine stands
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
They both fail- Miley for suggesting it, Cosmo for encouraging it.

Not to mention the fans for doing it.  There is a whole circle of rude going on here.  Grumble.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »
I never did like Miley and am grateful DD didn't go through a Hannah Montana phase at all.

To me, it seems like she is just getting brattier and more entitlement minded as she gets older. This just reinforces my opinion. Rude, rude, rude. Now store employees have to go and sort out the mess she asked for - and on top of that, she calls everyone who disagrees with her a "square". Ugh.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

MrTango

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
If I were a store owner, I'd pull Cosmo and all products related to Ms. Cyrus from my shelves.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
They both fail- Miley for suggesting it, Cosmo for encouraging it.

Personally, I'm not sure why one would expect Cosmo to stop it. They don't exactly promote an attitude of dignified self-restraint.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »
But this action and her use of the B* word to reference her fans makes me really dislike the young woman.

This.  She's really getting to be more of a jerk the older she gets, isn't she?

And, while I'm not sure I'm surprised at Cosmo's encouraging it (see Twik's comment above - I agree), it doesn't make me want to buy or read their magazine in the future.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »
MrTango has it right, too.  I agree with him.

If I were a store owner, I'd pull Cosmo and all products related to Ms. Cyrus from my shelves.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
Isn't "b-----s" a denigrating way to refer to people, or does it now mean something else?

Hillia

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
Isn't "b-----s" a denigrating way to refer to people, or does it now mean something else?

Well, some people see it as a super trendy, cool way to refer to a group of friends.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

blahblahblah

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
TBH, there are certain contexts where the term "b***h" doesn't bother me. It can be used as a term of endearment. I understand why some people aren't fans of it at all, but I don't necessarily think someone's wrong for using it. Words/languages can evolve. While I don't really use "b****es" to refer to my own group of friends or anything - we're a more conservative lot when it comes to that lol - I'm personally fond of the phrase "HBIC" (which stands for "Head B***h in Charge" and is most definitely not a pejorative).

I'm just amused that Miley is so desperate to be seen as grown up and mature, and yet thinks that this sort of immature prank is fun and ~clever. No, Miley. It isn't.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:48:06 PM by blahblahblah »

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 12:12:36 AM »

Not necessarily, my friends and I call each other that, as do many other young women.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 12:38:56 AM »
I saw a citizen fighting back  ::) I was at Walmart tonight and saw a customer grabbing all the errant Cosmos, putting them in the Cosmo rack, and putting the one in front backwards. So no Miley exposure at all.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 03:00:20 AM »
I saw a citizen fighting back  ::) I was at Walmart tonight and saw a customer grabbing all the errant Cosmos, putting them in the Cosmo rack, and putting the one in front backwards. So no Miley exposure at all.

That's still work for the salespeople and frankly even more childish.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
I'm just amused that Miley is so desperate to be seen as grown up and mature, and yet thinks that this sort of immature prank is fun and ~clever. No, Miley. It isn't.

Well, I think it's a sign of how, after an adolescence in the entertainment industry, she has absorbed all the worst of that culture - she exhibits the belief that she is, actually, the centre of the Known Universe, for not actually doing a lot, other than being famous. While a few child stars have escaped this type of thinking, it's obviously very difficult to avoid. I admit I resent the children a little less than those around them who taught them to be like this.

(My mother tells a story she heard about Shirley Temple, whose mother was very strict on not allowing her to "go Hollywood". Apparently, she was once walking through a store with her mother, at the very height of Shirley-mania, and saw a shelf full of lifesized Shirley Temple dolls. She gasped to her mother, "Those dolls look just like me!" to which her mother said, "Yes. What a strange coincidence!" and led her away quickly.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Bottlecaps

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »
I've never been a fan of Miley Cyrus, and seeing this type of behavior coming from someone who is part of the crop of young, famous females who have been raised in the bubble mindset that the rules don't apply to them just never surprises me. It is also the encouragement of this type of behavior that's driving me, an almost-23-year-old female, away from reading Cosmo. Maybe I should pick up a subscription to Good Housekeeping - at least that magazine has articles that actually interest me!  ;D
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »

That's still work for the salespeople and frankly even more childish.

I don't see how this is work for the salespeople.  It sounds to me like a customer put all the Cosmos back where they belong, but turned the one in front backwards.  So except for the front magazine being backwards they actually helped clean up.