Author Topic: Obituary job hunting  (Read 2225 times)

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
Obituary job hunting
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
I heard about someone who used a rather unique way to find a job:  reading death notices, and if the deceased was below a certain age and employed, contacting the employer (not mentioning they read that an employee died) and asking if they need anyone or tailoring a resume to the skills of the vacant job.  I think it’s kind of creepy (like a personal injury lawyer handing out cards at an accident), but some feel it’s saving the employer time and money (recruitment, advertising) – and they’ll probably need someone anyway.

Of course, if one did get a job this way it would be best to never, ever reveal that particular job search method.

It got me to thinking about a situation years ago where a young woman died, and the day after the funeral the perfect replacement showed up with a resume and was hired.  :-\  (But I think it may have been coincidence or maybe a referral.)

Anyway, any thoughts about obituary job hunting?

Dalek

• Am not amused!
Re: Obituary job hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:46:18 PM »
IMO that's sick. I have never heard of this before. It's amazing what people do.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
I've heard about people apartment hunting, especially in New York, like this.

I think it is a little ghoulish but I don't see anything inherently wrong with it, as long as the candidate doesn't misrepresent themselves at all.

But I do agree they should never, ever reveal how they got the job.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:03:20 PM »
I understand why its unsavory, but the reality is death happens.  Its part of the normal lifecycle, pretending it didn't happen doesn't magically make it so. I really think as a culture we in the US are very sick & twisted in our overall handling of death, the way we fear the dead and avoid the grieving and and just overall treat it like some sort of dirty little secret, some shameful thing to pity the survivors over or worse judge them by, to be so squeamish about everything connected to the dead, etc.

The job hunter has no connection or obligation to the deceased.  They aren't being disrespectful.  They are simply trying to make a life for themselves. Life after all, does go on.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
In some ways, it just seems realistic. I guess maybe it depends on the type of job. For example, if a science teacher is looking for a job and they hear a news story anout a beloved science teacher in a local school unexpectedly passing away, it would make sense to contact the district to see if they need a teacher. It is the kind of job where you need specific skills and coworkers can't just cover the workload on the same way they might in some workplaces.

They would do the same thing if the position became open because of a sudden midyear retirement, promotion, etc.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:57 PM »
There was a Roseanne episode about this.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »
Huh, it doesn't sound that efficient as a method of job hunting, but certainly if you came across an obit and the job sounded like something you could do, why not?  I don't have any problem with the idea.  I agree with WillyNilly, death happens, and I don't understand why it would be considered sick or disrespectful.

Amara

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I've never heard of it before but I think it's fine (if a bit odd). I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
Flip side of the coin:  If one waited a few weeks out of ‘respect”, the employer would surely have already begun the recruitment/advertising process, or at least started to go thru piles of resumes on file, or asked staff if they know anyone.

Of course, a lot depends on the type of position and skills needed.