Author Topic: Detox diet  (Read 1039 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Detox diet
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »
Plan a little wiggle room into your schedule during the day. You may be spending much more time in the bathroom while your system adjusts.
Please also be aware of the gastro effects of switching to a high fiber diet after one filled with cards and sugar. Your first couple of days will be ... productive, also maybe a little gassy.

ROFL!  Yes - I am fortunate that for the next few days other than the occasional outing I get to stick close to home.  I'm enjoying a bowl of lima beans right now.  I forgot how much I like these little guys!  (The rest of my family hates them so I don't usually make them...but this time the whole package was for me for lunch so it didn't matter!!)
Are you talking frozen limas?  I love lima beans, too and kind of forgot about them.  Think I'll hit the freezer in the market tomorrow.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

onikenbai

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 02:15:55 AM »
Veggies, rice and fruit aren't carbs in the way that bread, pasta and cereals are carbs, but they are carbs fundamentally and break down into sugars.  They keep your tummy hungry for more and are more likely to send you on the roller coaster of sugar high-lows.  If you are looking for a solid cleanse, google the five day pouch test.  Ok, technically it's a reboot for people who have had weight loss surgery, but the principles are still solid.  Protein does a better job of telling the stomach it is full and keeps you full longer.  You will have to scale up to account for having a full size tummy.  Other rules to follow:

-no cooked carrots as they convert to sugar when cooked (raw ok)
-no potatoes/yams/tuber
-protein drinks can be your friend BUT check the sugar content as some of those instant breakfast drinks are alarmingly high in sugar.  Carnation makes a SF version.
-absolutely no smoothies (those things are sugar bombs and whipping up the fruit turns whatever starch was in the fruit into sugar, all while tricking you into eating four pieces of fruit at one go)
-low fat greek yogurt is your friend.  Ricotta is a lot better for you than you would think.
-those who go hardcore go no fruit at all
-aim to get in 60-80 grams of protein a day and keep sugars to less than 20 grams a day.  1tsp./packet of sugar is 5 grams so it's a tough go, I know.

I also have the IBS and the diet wasn't too bad.  If anything, it actually improved a bit.  Throw in the occasional avocado with balsamic vinaigrette for soluble fibre.  If you are going to eat rice, opt for brown over white for the higher nutritional value and fibre content.  If you opt to go all out and push yourself into ketosis, expect a few days of headaches as your body voices its displeasure at carbohydrate withdrawal.

I personally do not do protein drinks because they tend to be soy based and I'm allergic to soy, but a good number of my friends take the vanilla/plain ones and go to town on them.  Vanilla+instant coffee is supposed to be pretty good, and I have another friend who puts the orange crystal light in the vanilla and she says it tastes like creamsicle. 

Check out my friend Kat's blog.  We've both had WLS but she's been more ambitious than I and has posted her recipes.  I've tried lots of them and they are good and low-carb, and generally low calorie.  The black bean brownies are to die for.  Yes, they sound revolting but they are not.  I swear.

http://geokatgirl.wordpress.com/

oogyda

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »
My last boss would do a Cabbage Soup Detox for a week every year around this time.  I don't know the recipe, but I know it smelled great.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Syfygeek

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »
Hi all!

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

I am definitely not a radical detoxer by any stretch of the imagination. I have far too little self discipline and willpower for that!   ;D

I am eating more veggies and fruits while cutting out sugar and so on to try and break this nasty cycle of sugar and carb loading I seem to have going on. I'm adding in teas and such for antioxidants.  The doc has given thumbs up.  ;)

Day 1 - 5 hours in and nothing bad has happened.  lol

There is an old saying 'if you are hungry, eat an apple.  If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry.'
Now apples are full of sugar (a carb) but I doubt that's what you mean by sugar and carb loading  :D and they are really good for the average person - lots of fiber and water and nutrients.  And pretty filling.  And they are pretty cheap (at least in the continental US) and last for a pretty long time.  So if you just want to break some bad eating habits, adopting the 'eat an apple' plan into your life as a commitment for say a week or two ("every time I want junk food I'm going to eat an apple first") its a really easy way to break a potato chip and pasta habit (or chocolate & bread habit, or whatever your crave foods are).

(Oranges work well too)

WillyNilly, I bought apples last night instead of snacky-type food. Watching TV, I was going to grab a snack, decided I didn't want an apple, and got a glass of ice water. Because, if I didn't want to eat an apple, I wasn't hungry ;D. I'm going to try this for a week- I turn 51 on Thursday and think it's time for a new apple habit!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
^ whoo-hoo!

Its such an easy (yet disciplined) way to improve your overall diet & lifestyle, right? 

I actually witnessed something we have probably all seen, or went through as kid just this weekend.  My cousin's 4 year old son at a family gathering.  Well it a bunch of family so we have all sorts of food and treats set out.  Kid's getting overwhelmed by stimulation and cookies, etc.  He goes for another cookie.  His mom gently stops him and says "are you hungry?  how about an apple?" he happily takes an apple and calms down to eat it.  I mean yeah he still wandered around a bit, but it was easy to get him to come back to that apple.  And he left the cookies alone the rest of the afternoon.

Many of of us grew up with that "mom knowledge" either from our moms or from being moms, but then somewhere along the way we forgot it.  But in the end it all comes down to those simple "eat an apple" type lessons.