Author Topic: Funeral pictures on your Timeline  (Read 10106 times)

JeanFromBNA

Funeral pictures on your Timeline
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »
Is it acceptable to post pictures of your mother's funeral on your timeline?  No, no, no, I didn't do that.  Somebody that I'm not close to but have on my newsfeed did.  I was already considering removing her from my newsfeed for other reasons; apparently I was too slow.

But shouldn't someone at least give a warning?  I'm scrolling down:  Status updates, LOL cats, e-cards, political rants, soandso liked this, and somebody's deceased mother in a coffin.   :o.  I just wasn't expecting it. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Funeral pictures on your Timeline
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:09:27 PM »
I find it acceptable. I get that other people might not like ot but I disagree that means,it is bot acceptable. There is a whole lot on fb that I don't like to look at but that doesn't mean other posters have posted anything unacceptable.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »
I don't see anything inappropriate about that.  It might be nice for people who couldn't be there to see the funeral.  An open casket without warning might be disturbing, but the coffin and funeral in general?  Not sure why that's a problem.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
I don't see anything inappropriate about that.  It might be nice for people who couldn't be there to see the funeral.  An open casket without warning might be disturbing, but the coffin and funeral in general?  Not sure why that's a problem.

According to the OP, there was a picture of the open coffin with deceased person inside.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »

According to the OP, there was a picture of the open coffin with deceased person inside.

I must be seriously missing something...just reread the OP and am not seeing it?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »

I must be seriously missing something...just reread the OP and am not seeing it?

and somebody's deceased mother in a coffin.

I think she'd have just said "and a coffin" if you couldn't see the coffin's inhabitant.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
Is it acceptable to post pictures of your mother's funeral on your timeline?  No, no, no, I didn't do that.  Somebody that I'm not close to but have on my newsfeed did.  I was already considering removing her from my newsfeed for other reasons; apparently I was too slow.

But shouldn't someone at least give a warning?  I'm scrolling down:  Status updates, LOL cats, e-cards, political rants, soandso liked this, and somebody's deceased mother in a coffin.   :o.  I just wasn't expecting it.

I was about to say I would be fine with it but I was imagining a photo taken of the minister or the person giving the eulogy.  But no, I do not find photos of deceased people on a social media forum to be appropriate. To me that is definately the type of photo that should only be shared with people who request a copy.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »
Yvaine: ohhh, gotcha--I didn't read that into it, but what you're saying makes sense.  I can see how that would be surprising and unsettling to see on Facebook.  I think it would be more polite to put it in an album with a different cover photo, and a note warning people that there are open casket photos inside, since it is possible that it would upset someone to see it. 

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
Sharing post-mortem photographs, unsolicited, is beyond the bounds of good taste. I don't know that it's "rude", precisely, but it's just not right. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking them, in fact, I have some very cherished photos of my grandmother, grandfather, and late cousin in their coffins. But you just don't spring them on people.
Utah

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
I don't want to see any death photos at all. I've recently had to unsubscribe from two friends who posted photos of dead animals (in an "Isn't this terrible! Please help prevent it!" sort of way). I understand that everyone will use their account in whatever way they want but I'm just in it for the jokes and keeping in touch.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »
Id be really upset by that. I dont know how others feel, but I dont feel FB is the right place for that. If some people needed tos ee photos, send them in an email. Or at the very least a limited access fb photo album, only viewable to certain people

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
If it was a post - mortem picture of the deceased, then that's very much not okay. I had a bad experience with open coffin funerals (creepy warning: I thought I saw the body moving), and so I don't even go up to the receiving line if the coffin is there and open (I greet the bereaved after the service and express my condolences then). A picture like that would upset me a lot and make me feel a little ill.

Id be really upset by that. I dont know how others feel, but I dont feel FB is the right place for that. If some people needed tos ee photos, send them in an email. Or at the very least a limited access fb photo album, only viewable to certain people

I concur with this. It's totally possible to put privacy settings on an album to keep people from seeing upsetting or frightening images, so no one needs to have that open to every FB friend he or she has.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
If it was a post - mortem picture of the deceased, then that's very much not okay. I had a bad experience with open coffin funerals (creepy warning: I thought I saw the body moving), and so I don't even go up to the receiving line if the coffin is there and open (I greet the bereaved after the service and express my condolences then). A picture like that would upset me a lot and make me feel a little ill.

I concur with this. It's totally possible to put privacy settings on an album to keep people from seeing upsetting or frightening images, so no one needs to have that open to every FB friend he or she has.

What a terrifying thing to imagine or hallucinate!
Utah

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »
It wouldn't bother me, people in coffins look like they are sleeping. And my feed moves pretty quickly anyway.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
In some cultures it's customary to take pictures of the deceased and keep them in photo albums or even display them in the home.  While I personally don't enjoy seeing pictures like this, this pretty much boils down to people using their FB page for their own purposes.  Not everyone posts things that I'm comfortable with.  And if the posts are disturbing enough, often enough, I always have the options of hiding their feed or defriending.

What I'm saying is that, aside from pictures with legal ramifications, I wouldn't say that there's an etiquette to posting pictures.