Author Topic: Protocol (tipping, products, etc.) for a beauty school haircut  (Read 2649 times)

BarensMom

Re: Protocol (tipping, products, etc.) for a beauty school haircut
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
I recently was a "hair model" for one of the beauty schools here.  It took a long time, because the poor student had to check everything with her supervisor (what does "you took off my edge" mean?).  I ended up with a good, albeit shorter haircut than I'm used to, but I was prepared for that.  The cut was free, but I tipped the student $10, because she did the best she could and to give her some encouragement.

charlatan

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »
I recently was a "hair model" for one of the beauty schools here.  It took a long time, because the poor student had to check everything with her supervisor (what does "you took off my edge" mean?).

I'm curious - what does it mean?

MissRose

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
The local beauty school by me does allow for tipping even though the services are reduced prices and a few hours per day where the public is welcome to come in or make appointments.  The work is done by supervised senior students, and sometimes they may have a new student or 2 observing.  I went to one to get my nails done one day then my hair done when I was in my sister's wedding a few years ago on the wedding day itself, and was pleased with the results (and got compliments too) even though I paid much less than those who went to a salon for the same services.

pickles50

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
I always try and tip generous, maybe 30-50% of what it cost me. As for products I keep my time tested line..."I couldn't fit another product in my bathroom and the hubby already has no space".