Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 999 times)

wenners

Advice please
« on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:10 AM »
I've know a person, let's call them X, for over 10 years. X works in the public service, like I do, but we work in different places in very different roles - X is a scientist, I am a frontline clinician. There have been many job cuts in our service over the last few months, and probably more to come. The field I work is fundamentally about getting people back to previous roles, so deals with return to work etc. X tells me the other day she has been to a chiropractor (which any one is the Health system would understand, there are doubts about credibility) who took an X-ray (which would be unethical) and to the Chiro and X it "was clear there are obvious spinal issues" (X who's uni degree was based on plant studies, and didn't pass biology let alone anatomy).  X said she was going to go to get "worker's compo" (exacts words, which to me is incredibly offensive) because someone else she worked with "got three months off" so surely she "deserves" the same. X has been complaining about "back pain" for the 12 years I've known her, to me it is clearly not related to a "workplace injury" as X is now claiming (she has worked in said job for over 7 years, so surely the onus would be on her anyway). I'm torn because people lots of people I work with/have worked with have lost their jobs, where as X clearly trying to manipulate the system, should I let HR etc. know that this was a long term condition so other people don't have to sacrifice their jobs? Or should I keep my mouth shut?

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:28:07 AM »
Keep your mouth shut, and let the system work.

wenners

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:58:46 AM »
Thanks TurtleDove :)

CluelessBride

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:27:52 AM »
What TurtleDove said. For what it's worth, there is back pain and there is Back Pain. Having back pain may make you more susceptible to a major back injury, but it doesn't mean the injury wasn't cause by work.

My DH has complained of mild back aches for years. But it was an incident at work that caused him so much pain he couldn't move for 3 days. He tried to get a doctors appointment on his own, but his PCP wouldn't even see him after asking what had caused the pain and finding out it happened at work - he was required to go through worker's compensation.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:07:32 AM »
I'd sit back and laugh as they discover that it's not so easy to get those claims to go through.

On the other hand, if you catch them lifting 100 lb boxes, I wouldn't see it as wrong to get a picture on your camera and send it in.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont