Author Topic: Should I MYOB?  (Read 2714 times)

xanne

Should I MYOB?
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
Sorry, long Background - I am in my mid 50's. My older brother was unemployed and unwilling to work fast food, he was waiting for the perfect job - I didn't know that until later.  His area of expertise is mostly used in CA, he was working in VA, so after paying his rent for a couple of months, he said that he could have a job tomorrow if he could get to CA.  He put all of his stuff in storage (which we picked up a few months later when he was unable to make the payments) and we lent him money to get to CA.  2 years later, he had worked a few small jobs and borrowed more money from DH and I than I would like to think about.  He is my only living close relative.  I had not heard from him in awhile, I figured he must have been working so he didn't need to call me for money.  It turns out he had a massive stroke, had no insurance, etc.  He achieved a level of re-hab that allowed him to return to the place he was living.  A few months later I am guessing he had another stroke, since when he called, I could barely understand him and he had been moved to a board and care, assisted living.  At some point, he fell and hit his head, this happened twice since he refused to wait for assistance, it caused some major damage and he now can only speak a few words, is confined to a wheelchair and only has partial use of one hand. 

Along the way DH lost his job, fortunately SSDI took over supporting my brother, but going to visit is not possible since I am on the east coast.

The facility that he is now in, would like a conservator appointed to see to his affairs, pay his bills, etc., I declined, but I am fully supportive.  The problem is that my brother is opposed to this and the public defender who represents him says it isn't necessary since my brother says (he can write)  that he can live independently.  Did I mention that someone has to assist him with every aspect of his life?

My question, after all of this, is should I call the PD and ask how in the world he can support my brother's decision when it isn't a rational one.

LadyL

Re: Should I MYOB?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »
This post manages to combine legal and medical situations which I understand are outside the purview of this forum. There are some great caregivers forums out there for relatives of disabled adults, I suggest you bring your question there.

xanne

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
Thanks, will see what I can find.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »
Yea, pretty much. You need to find a forum with a higher concentration of folks with experience in this area, and probably talk to an attorney as well. Way beyond the purview of eHell.

Good luck, this is a terrible situation to be in, for all concerned!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »
Sympathies to the OP, but this is beyond the purview of an Internet forum focused on etiquette.