General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Internet Cafe - is it OK to blast a movie on your laptop? I asked him to stop

(1/3) > >>

JohnnyHands:
Hello Everyone,

I was in an Internet cafe with some music playing - on the house sound system.  There was a guy watching a video on his laptop, who happened to be old Asian guy, by himself..  I myself, always bring ear buds along with my laptop, when doing anything sonic.  This was a Sunday afternoon in a college town. I think this is different than people talking (obviously, people have right to talk in any kind of dining establishment) - this guy was by himself.  So what do you think?

Part 2: I went over to the guy to suggest that he invest in a pair of earbuds, and I took mine over to show mine.  He claimed not to know English as immediately waived me off - I'm not sure if he did or did not understand me - he just kept playing his movie.  So, another question, was I within my rights in accosting him?

WillyNilly:
I think its ok to ask once polite for someone to turn down the volume.  I think trying to convince him to get earbuds was over the top (not everyone can even use earbuds specifically) and really none of your business.  If he didn't turn it down at your first request, I think the next step is to speak to an employee - if the volume is against the establishment's rules, they can handle it, if its not they can let you know and you can decide if you want to stay with the noise, or leave.

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: WillyNilly on February 05, 2013, 11:17:03 PM ---I think its ok to ask once polite for someone to turn down the volume.  I think trying to convince him to get earbuds was over the top (not everyone can even use earbuds specifically) and really none of your business.  If he didn't turn it down at your first request, I think the next step is to speak to an employee - if the volume is against the establishment's rules, they can handle it, if its not they can let you know and you can decide if you want to stay with the noise, or leave.

--- End quote ---

Pretty much agree with all of this

Virg:
I agree with WillyNilly as well.  The answer to the question posed by the thread title is really "it depends on the establishment" so asking him to turn it down once is as far as etiquette allows interacting with him.  Bring it to the staff after that.

Virg

oogyda:
I think suggesting an easy solution to your request was fine except that I'm sure there were no ear buds available for purchase right then and there. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version