General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Internet Cafe - is it OK to blast a movie on your laptop? I asked him to stop

<< < (2/3) > >>

LilacRosey:
I think its rude because it makes it hard to hear the music that the cafe actually plays for people to listen too., LilacRosey

rachellenore:
These situations are why staff exist, they want customers to come to them with a problem, not take it into their own hands. You both sound rude in this situation, unfortunately.

artk2002:

--- Quote from: rachellenore on April 01, 2013, 08:10:43 PM ---These situations are why staff exist, they want customers to come to them with a problem, not take it into their own hands. You both sound rude in this situation, unfortunately.

--- End quote ---

I disagree, strongly. We're adults and don't need to run to mommy to take care of our issues with other adults. Asking someone to turn down loud music/sounds in a public place is not in the least rude. It may be done rudely, but the asking itself is not rude at all. It is not rude to ask someone to stop doing something that impacts you.

snowdragon:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on April 02, 2013, 11:44:48 AM ---
--- Quote from: rachellenore on April 01, 2013, 08:10:43 PM ---These situations are why staff exist, they want customers to come to them with a problem, not take it into their own hands. You both sound rude in this situation, unfortunately.

--- End quote ---

I disagree, strongly. We're adults and don't need to run to mommy to take care of our issues with other adults. Asking someone to turn down loud music/sounds in a public place is not in the least rude. It may be done rudely, but the asking itself is not rude at all. It is not rude to ask someone to stop doing something that impacts you.

--- End quote ---

The staff is there for when adults can't work it out.   the OP asked the guy declined and had it not been something she could work around she could have gone to the staff to have them deal with it.  That's part of their job.

artk2002:

--- Quote from: snowdragon on April 02, 2013, 02:24:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on April 02, 2013, 11:44:48 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The staff is there for when adults can't work it out.   the OP asked the guy declined and had it not been something she could work around she could have gone to the staff to have them deal with it.  That's part of their job.

--- End quote ---

I agree. My response was to rachellenore who said (or at least seemed to be saying) that the OP should have gone to the staff first and not spoken to the guy at all. I got that from the "... not take it into their own hands" phrase.  In fact, I see that attitude on eHell frequently: Never deal with the issue yourself, go to someone in authority. I've seen it put forth that speaking up for yourself in these situations is rude. It's not.

If I go to authority first, then I'm not acting like an adult. If I go to authority after the other person refuses to work with me, then I'm going to authority because they aren't acting like an adult. I'd be seriously peeved if someone, annoyed with something I was doing, went to the staff before asking me directly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version