General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Irresponsible coworker

<< < (5/5)

Petticoats:
If the task is really that quick and simple, ask your boss if he'll shift the responsibility for that task from lazycakes to you. Make very clear that you need this to happen because you can't do your job under the present conditions. In order to get boss to take you seriously, I would ask to schedule a meeting where you make this proposal rather than asking on the fly.

Edit: To clarify, boss must give you all the support you need (clearance, etc.) to make it feasible for you to add this task to your present workload. But having the ability to do it yourself in a timely and correct way--even though it may feel like it's rewarding lazycakes--will probably save you stress and long days. I hope so, anyway. :)

MyFamily:

--- Quote from: Petticoats on February 12, 2013, 04:10:49 PM ---If the task is really that quick and simple, ask your boss if he'll shift the responsibility for that task from lazycakes to you. Make very clear that you need this to happen because you can't do your job under the present conditions. In order to get boss to take you seriously, I would ask to schedule a meeting where you make this proposal rather than asking on the fly.

Edit: To clarify, boss must give you all the support you need (clearance, etc.) to make it feasible for you to add this task to your present workload. But having the ability to do it yourself in a timely and correct way--even though it may feel like it's rewarding lazycakes--will probably save you stress and long days. I hope so, anyway. :)

--- End quote ---
I understand the logic of this suggestion, but being the person whose had jobs shifted to me because other people couldn't/wouldn't do their jobs is just so frustrating!  And once it happens with one task, it will happen with other tasks.  Personally, I think doing this is a sign of poor management - if you have two people to do two people's job, but one person is doing all or the majority of the work, why do you bother having the 2nd person; they should be replaced with someone who can do the job of one person instead of paying a full-time person to do a half-time job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version