General Etiquette > Family and Children

Am I supposed to bring a birthday gift?

(1/6) > >>

lilblu:
My cousin's wife called me late Tuesday evening to invite me to a surprise birthday party for my aunt the following day (today, Wednesday). For whatever reason, I grew up not giving a gift or card to my aunt on her birthday. As an adult, it never really occurred to me to get her anything, even a card, despite the fact that she has always given me something.

I'm assuming that I should at least give her a card at this party. But am I supposed to give her a gift? I don't have time to pick something up. Thankfully I have a box full of cards. I would have to make a special trip to the store Wednesday afternoon to buy her a gift. So I would only have four hours available before the party to buy her something, cook and eat supper, and get cleaned up and dressed. I'm a little annoyed that my cousin's wife waited so late to invite me. As it is, I don't really want to go (I'm having terrible heartburn), but I feel obligated to go.

So do I need to bring a gift? I wouldn't even know what to get her. Finding her a Christmas present was torturous enough (she's hard to buy for). I have no idea whether anyone else is getting her anything. I should have asked, but was too dumfounded at the late invitation.

Margo:
I think it would be a nice thing to do. Why not get some flowers or a good quality box of chocolates or bottle of wine?

I don't think you *have* to get anything, but I would do so, if it were me, and if I possibly could.

MariaE:

--- Quote from: Margo on February 06, 2013, 03:05:58 AM ---I think it would be a nice thing to do. Why not get some flowers or a good quality box of chocolates or bottle of wine?

I don't think you *have* to get anything, but I would do so, if it were me, and if I possibly could.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this.

Perfect Circle:
I would definitely get her a gift. It doesn't have to be anything too big, but I would not show empty handed.

peaches:
I would take a gift. Does she like to read? A gift certificate to a book store (bricks and mortar store or online one) would be nice.

I wouldn't go empty-handed. It's always nice to take a gift to a birthday party.

The fact that you have never given her a birthday gift - while she has always given you one - is all the more reason to treat her to a surprise. It's time to return the favor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version