General Etiquette > Family and Children

Am I supposed to bring a birthday gift?

<< < (6/6)

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: oceanus on February 07, 2013, 12:25:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: secretrebel on February 07, 2013, 04:29:18 AM ---A lottery ticket is a terrible gift. Don't do that. It's either a worthless piece of paper or money with a law suit attached

--- End quote ---

Lawsuit?  ???
When my nieces and nephews were young they LOVED getting lottery scratch-offs.  They liked the actual scratching and occasionally they won a few dollars.  However, I wouldn't give lottery tickets to an adult for a gift.

--- End quote ---

Technically, I think adults are the only ones who can legally claim a lottery win.  As far as a lawsuit, I think the poster is referring to cases where people have given tickets, only to try to claim the win when it turned out to be a big money maker.

oceanus:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on February 07, 2013, 12:29:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: oceanus on February 07, 2013, 12:25:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: secretrebel on February 07, 2013, 04:29:18 AM ---A lottery ticket is a terrible gift. Don't do that. It's either a worthless piece of paper or money with a law suit attached

--- End quote ---

Lawsuit?  ???
When my nieces and nephews were young they LOVED getting lottery scratch-offs.  They liked the actual scratching and occasionally they won a few dollars.  However, I wouldn't give lottery tickets to an adult for a gift.

--- End quote ---

Technically, I think adults are the only ones who can legally claim a lottery win.  As far as a lawsuit, I think the poster is referring to cases where people have given tickets, only to try to claim the win when it turned out to be a big money maker.

--- End quote ---

The parents of my niece and nephew claimed the prizes and then gave them the money, which, as I said was only a few dollars.  The fun for the kids was the actual scratching. As far as a lawsuit, yes, I’m aware that there have been cases where people (usually office workers) got into litigation over the winnings when they didn’t have a prior written contract agreement (if indeed that was what the poster was referring to). 

I prefer not to derail the thread with further discussion about the legalities of claiming lottery winnings - $1 or $100M.

All that aside, as I said, I personally don’t feel that a lottery ticket – scratch-off or online – is a decent birthday gift for an adult.

Elegiac:
My brother is a big coffee drinker who is hard to buy for - he always buys things for himself, so I honestly have no idea.  One year, I got him a nice coffee mug and some flavoured creamer - he loved that gift.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version