General Etiquette > Family and Children

Am I supposed to bring a birthday gift?

<< < (2/6) > >>

lilblu:
Thanks for the advice.

I guess my issue was that because of the last minute invite, I don't have much time to think of what to get her and pick something up. Plus I would have to make a special trip to the store. There are no shopping stores in the town I live in, unless you count the gas station.

My aunt is really hard to buy for. She was just commenting the other day about how she didn't have anywhere to put the Christmas presents her nephew gave her. She doesn't need a gift card, trust me on that. It took me about three weeks to figure out what to get her for Christmas because she has no interests and doesn't do anything.

The only things I know she uses/likes is flavored coffee creamer. But she also recently commented that she hasn't been able to taste anything for a month. And I don't think creamer is an appropriate gift, especially since I'm not sure which flavors she likes (she's very picky). So I don't know what to do. Could I tell her that I would've gotten her something, but I didn't know anything about the party until the day before (yesterday), so I didn't have time? Or would that be a bad idea?

Isn't it kind of rude to invite someone to a party the day before? Shouldn't you at least give people two or three days notice? Especially when you know that they have to work?

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: lilblu on February 06, 2013, 09:56:19 AM ---Thanks for the advice.

I guess my issue was that because of the last minute invite, I don't have much time to think of what to get her and pick something up. Plus I would have to make a special trip to the store. There are no shopping stores in the town I live in, unless you count the gas station.

My aunt is really hard to buy for. She was just commenting the other day about how she didn't have anywhere to put the Christmas presents her nephew gave her. She doesn't need a gift card, trust me on that. It took me about three weeks to figure out what to get her for Christmas because she has no interests and doesn't do anything.

The only things I know she uses/likes is flavored coffee creamer. But she also recently commented that she hasn't been able to taste anything for a month. And I don't think creamer is an appropriate gift, especially since I'm not sure which flavors she likes (she's very picky). So I don't know what to do. Could I tell her that I would've gotten her something, but I didn't know anything about the party until the day before (yesterday), so I didn't have time? Or would that be a bad idea?

Isn't it kind of rude to invite someone to a party the day before? Shouldn't you at least give people two or three days notice? Especially when you know that they have to work?

--- End quote ---

I think the cousin's wife was probably disorganized to invite you at the last minute, but it's not your aunt's fault, kwim? I'd still pick up some kind of token gift for her. And if you don't bring anything, I'd say just quietly don't bring anything, rather than explaining all about why. But I'd pick something up. Even if it was just flowers or something.

siamesecat2965:

--- Quote from: lilblu on February 06, 2013, 09:56:19 AM ---Thanks for the advice.

--- End quote ---

It does seem a bit last minute. COuld you take her out for lunch or dinner for her birthday, at a later date? And either put that in the card, or verbally tell her at the party?

Outdoor Girl:
In light of the additional information, I think you are fine with just a card.

One last minute gift that is popular in my circle is those scratch off lottery tickets.  If you think that is something your aunt might appreciate/enjoy, you could pick up a couple of those and enclose them in the card.  Or, if you live close by, enclose an IOU that says something like, 'I'll take you out to lunch - let's pick a date that works for both of us!'

I wouldn't mention the last minute invite.

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: siamesecat2965 on February 06, 2013, 10:02:22 AM ---

--- End quote ---

It does seem a bit last minute. COuld you take her out for lunch or dinner for her birthday, at a later date? And either put that in the card, or verbally tell her at the party?

--- End quote ---

This is a really good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version