Author Topic: Letters of Professional Reference--is this okay?  (Read 1450 times)

CakeBeret

Letters of Professional Reference--is this okay?
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
I'm job searching, and found the perfect prospect. They have requested two letters of professional reference.

I've only had one professional job and it's a tiny company. I asked my boss to write a reference letter, and asked if she had any ideas for the 2nd reference. She suggested a mutual business contact who has known me for years, and I agree that he would be an excellent reference. She called and asked him, and he agreed. She told me to write both reference letters, and she and the contact will sign them. The contact has agreed to this as well.

Is it okay to write my own reference letters? I had thought that they should be written by the references themselves.

Advice please?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Letters of Professional Reference--is this okay?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »
This is not unusual. I've seen it done for school recommendations and for job recommendations. As long as the person reads and signs the document, does it really matter who put the words down?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
It's a growing thing. It always kind of weirds me, but I know it's accepted.

veryfluffy

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
Not unusual, in my experience. Writing reference letters (unless they are of the "I confirm that X worked for me in such an capacity" type) can be quite onerous. I've been asked to write several like this for myself, allowing the experience and aptitudes that I think matter to be highlighted, and saving the referee the time and effort involved.

Just make sure the person signing does actually read and agree with everything before signing, and you should be fine.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
My only issue with it is that I find it very difficult to toot my own horn, so to speak.  So I might get a more glowing reference if the referee wrote the letter than if I wrote it myself.

Could you ask them if they'd have a look at a draft and ask them to make suggestions for improvements?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
It is a bit like writing your own evaluation.  Be truthful, but good.  have someone else read it over before you submit. 
Good luck!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

scotcat60

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:20 AM »
The Archives where I used to work had several expmples of Professional References dating from Victorian days. Some were beautifully printed.