General Etiquette > Life...in general

Re: A New Gym Issue: The Invisible Treadmill Runner UPDATE pg 3

<< < (2/8) > >>

cicero:

--- Quote from: WillyNilly on February 06, 2013, 11:03:47 AM ---I would speak to an employee as I entered 'Hi.  I work out here everyday and lately an older guy comes in a few minutes after me and uses the treadmills.  He gets it going pretty fast and then when he leaves he just steps on the sides to get off leaving it running.  I'm usually still running at that point and don't want to interrupt my workout to notify you all, but it concerns me.  Maybe you can keep an eye out for him? I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt or the machines to wear out."

Or you could change the "maybe you can keep an eye for him?" to "would it be ok for me to say something to him as he's running?" if you are comfortable doing that.

--- End quote ---
this.

you might mention that you think he is probably a fairly new member, that might narrow things down for them.

Where's the Quiet?:

--- Quote from: weeblewobble on February 06, 2013, 10:53:26 AM ---Am I over stepping my bounds as a gym member trying to correct another member's use of the machines?  I love the gym and I hate to see people abuse the equipment.  And I would really hate to see someone get hurt trying to turn the machine off for someone who couldn't be bothered to do it.  Is there anything else to do?

--- End quote ---

I don't think that would be overstepping at all! I saw the bad results of this practice just this morning at my gym. Someone jumped off her treadmill and left it running while she went to talk to some friends. She left her stuff in the cupholders so maybe she thought people would leave it alone. Anyway, someone else came along, didn't notice that it was still running, stepped on and went down HARD. An ambulance was called and thankfully the lady was fine, but it could have been avoided so easily by just turning it off when the first person got off.

As far as whether there's anything else that could be done, maybe you could ask the gym to put up a sign specifically saying that the treadmills need to be stopped after each use. My gym has a TV station and they run gym rules/etiquette regularly on there.

MrsJWine:
I would say something to the staff. Treadmill burns can be pretty serious. I wiped out on the treadmill a few months ago during my warmup--so, low speed--and still got some pretty severe (but tiny) burns. A friend of mine sustained large 2nd and 3rd degree burns from a treadmill a while ago.

VorFemme:
We have a home treadmill - it does not run without a plastic tab inserted into it that is on a lanyard for the runner to wear.  If you fall or get off the treadmill - the tab comes out and the treadmill stops....very quickly.

I have to think that absent minded gym members might walk off with a similar safety tab on a similar set up - but surely something could be worked out (a sensor on a handrail?) for treadmills sold to gyms.....

The older guy could be setting up someone to get hurt one of these days - whether trying to get on a running machine or it breaking down while someone is on it from the extra wear & tear......

MrsJWine:

--- Quote from: VorFemme on February 06, 2013, 08:10:15 PM ---We have a home treadmill - it does not run without a plastic tab inserted into it that is on a lanyard for the runner to wear.  If you fall or get off the treadmill - the tab comes out and the treadmill stops....very quickly.

I have to think that absent minded gym members might walk off with a similar safety tab on a similar set up - but surely something could be worked out (a sensor on a handrail?) for treadmills sold to gyms.....

The older guy could be setting up someone to get hurt one of these days - whether trying to get on a running machine or it breaking down while someone is on it from the extra wear & tear......

--- End quote ---

I don't wear it when I run. I should, but I don't. I'm constantly knocking it off the console with my hand, or wandering too far back on the treadmill and pulling it off. I think they drive a lot of people just as nuts. I've always thought they could devise a better system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version