Author Topic: Irresponsible coworker  (Read 6063 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Irresponsible coworker
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »
You know, I would stop going out of my way to "help" this co-worker or my boss. And I certainly wouldn't stay late to finish/clean up the project. Your boss obviously isn't going to do anything until it hits her in the face. However, to protect my "face" I would make sure to document every single thing connected with the problem (and boss's non-reaction is one of them). As long as you continue as you are no one has any incentive to change.

She needs the data the coworker gives her in order to do her job.  So if she stops then it means her job isn't getting done

Amara

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »
I understood that, but what I meant (and possibly misstated) was that I felt she should not be the person who takes on responsibility for getting the co-worker to do his job on time. If he doesn't get the information to her when she needs it, then she should let her boss know that she can't finish the work on time either. But I don't think the OP should take on nagging chores or stay late to fix problems that she has not created.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 01:10:22 AM »
You know, I would stop going out of my way to "help" this co-worker or my boss. And I certainly wouldn't stay late to finish/clean up the project. Your boss obviously isn't going to do anything until it hits her in the face. However, to protect my "face" I would make sure to document every single thing connected with the problem (and boss's non-reaction is one of them). As long as you continue as you are no one has any incentive to change.

She needs the data the coworker gives her in order to do her job.  So if she stops then it means her job isn't getting done

That's really the point of several posts here. Since OP is covering for the nitwit, she's the only one suffering from his incompetence. By not helping him, and making it clear that he is the reason her job isn't getting done, this becomes the bosses problem. Which is where it should be.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 01:33:12 AM »

That's really the point of several posts here. Since OP is covering for the nitwit, she's the only one suffering from his incompetence. By not helping him, and making it clear that he is the reason her job isn't getting done, this becomes the bosses problem. Which is where it should be.

Or boss can blame OP for not getting their work done and OP ends up getting in trouble thanks to lazy co-worker.  I'm not saying OP should continue covering for him like she has.  But stopping cold turkey with no documentation to back up their side of the story isn't going to help OP at all.

I agree with PP that OP should document for a set period of time, lay it at bosses feet and then stop covering for lazy coworker.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 10:03:50 AM »
Or boss can blame OP for not getting their work done and OP ends up getting in trouble thanks to lazy co-worker.  I'm not saying OP should continue covering for him like she has.  But stopping cold turkey with no documentation to back up their side of the story isn't going to help OP at all.

I agree with PP that OP should document for a set period of time, lay it at bosses feet and then stop covering for lazy coworker.

Given the choice between putting my job in jeopardy because I refuse to carry a slacker along, and carrying the slacker, I would choose the former.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Petticoats

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
If the task is really that quick and simple, ask your boss if he'll shift the responsibility for that task from lazycakes to you. Make very clear that you need this to happen because you can't do your job under the present conditions. In order to get boss to take you seriously, I would ask to schedule a meeting where you make this proposal rather than asking on the fly.

Edit: To clarify, boss must give you all the support you need (clearance, etc.) to make it feasible for you to add this task to your present workload. But having the ability to do it yourself in a timely and correct way--even though it may feel like it's rewarding lazycakes--will probably save you stress and long days. I hope so, anyway. :)

MyFamily

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »
If the task is really that quick and simple, ask your boss if he'll shift the responsibility for that task from lazycakes to you. Make very clear that you need this to happen because you can't do your job under the present conditions. In order to get boss to take you seriously, I would ask to schedule a meeting where you make this proposal rather than asking on the fly.

Edit: To clarify, boss must give you all the support you need (clearance, etc.) to make it feasible for you to add this task to your present workload. But having the ability to do it yourself in a timely and correct way--even though it may feel like it's rewarding lazycakes--will probably save you stress and long days. I hope so, anyway. :)
I understand the logic of this suggestion, but being the person whose had jobs shifted to me because other people couldn't/wouldn't do their jobs is just so frustrating!  And once it happens with one task, it will happen with other tasks.  Personally, I think doing this is a sign of poor management - if you have two people to do two people's job, but one person is doing all or the majority of the work, why do you bother having the 2nd person; they should be replaced with someone who can do the job of one person instead of paying a full-time person to do a half-time job.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol