General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Etiquette of being sick at work

(1/4) > >>

RebeccainGA:
</bg> I work for a company that has some, but not much, sick paid time. It's the beginning of the year, and I have the time, so that's not the issue - although I am hesitant to use it frivolously, as I have run out in previous years. Also, I've got two (of the four on my team) colleagues that have been seriously sick - both with pneumonia, one for only a couple of days, one that's been out for almost two weeks. </end bg>

I'm getting sick. It's of course the worst possible time - HUGE meeting, all day, tomorrow, and I'll be closed up with my team in small conference rooms all day. I don't exactly feel awful at the moment - back a little achy, running nose, a little cough - but it's getting exponentially worse (two days ago it was a couple of sneezes, yesterday a little sore throat from drainage and now I'm breathing through my mouth almost exclusively). I don't want to, and really can't, miss tomorrow. Assuming I'm not just so sick I can't get out of bed tomorrow (I would have to be REALLY SICK to miss tomorrow - like, nearly hospital sick), what is the etiquette of being stuck in a conference room with five men (I'm the only woman on the team) and being sick? Do I have to step out to (discreetly) blow my nose? Is bringing the whole box of Kleenex to the conference room a bad idea?

This is half tongue in cheek - both because I know I'll muddle through, and because I do work with an all male team and they are SO not ashamed of their bodily functions and such - not frat boys, but if they need to go use the bathroom, they carry the paper with them, that kind of thing. I would be really curious as to how others handle it, though - I really, really can't miss tomorrow's all day meeting.

Moray:
Schedule your meds so they'll kick in before your meeting. Bring a small pack (like a purse pack) of kleenex for dabbing and covering sneezes/coughs, step out to blow, and bring cup of hot tea, and some cough drops. Position yourself close to the door for minimum disruption.

Also, this is going to be dependent on your familiarity with these guys and your office environment in general, but at my office it wouldn't be out of line to wear a disposable mask if I was coughing.

MrTango:
I agree with Moray's advice.

The only thing I would add is that you might let your boss know that you aren't feeling well, that you will do everything in your power to make it in tomorrow, and see what she/he recommends.

QueenfaninCA:
Is teleconferencing an option?

RebeccainGA:

--- Quote from: MrTango on February 06, 2013, 02:50:41 PM ---I agree with Moray's advice.

The only thing I would add is that you might let your boss know that you aren't feeling well, that you will do everything in your power to make it in tomorrow, and see what she/he recommends.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that suggestion - but sadly, he knows. I sit 20 feet from him, and he's been listening to the honking all day coming from my desk. LOL

Here's hoping I'll be MUCH better tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version