General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Etiquette of being sick at work

<< < (2/4) > >>

RebeccainGA:

--- Quote from: QueenfaninCA on February 06, 2013, 03:11:13 PM ---Is teleconferencing an option?

--- End quote ---

Sadly, no - we're making a much-overdue map of all our tools and systems, and will spend the day mucking about with markers and large sheets of paper. Not a teleconference-friendly day. I can, normally, work from home a bit, but tomorrow it's right out as an option.

lilfox:
If you are expecting to have to share papers, markers, etc, it would be a good idea to bring hand sanitizer too.

We're dealing with this at my work too: lots of people are working from home, or are out sick altogether, and people running out of sick time who can't work from home are coming in.  I've been in all three categories since work resumed this year - when I have to be in the office, I keep the hand sanitizer conspicuously located and excuse myself if I have to blow my nose.  It's unpleasant but basically unavoidable this time of year.

jpcher:

--- Quote from: Moray on February 06, 2013, 01:56:05 PM ---Schedule your meds so they'll kick in before your meeting. Bring a small pack (like a purse pack) of kleenex for dabbing and covering sneezes/coughs, step out to blow, and bring cup of hot tea, and some cough drops. Position yourself close to the door for minimum disruption.

--- End quote ---

I agree with the above. I think this is the best way to handle the situation.

Add to your "supplies" some kind of bag (brown lunch bag? zip-lock?) that you can keep on your lap, next to you on the chair, or somehow discretely tucked away to dispose of the used tissues.

eta: with the sharing of markers . . . can you get your own set that doesn't need to be passed around? You can push papers around on the table using a tissue.

zainabzks:
My doctor recommended Tamiflu to my husband when I was sick last week. It supposedly doesn't let you get too sick.
Feel better. I had bronchitis last week and it was not fun.

Green Bean:

--- Quote from: zainabzks on February 06, 2013, 06:37:44 PM ---
Feel better. I had bronchitis last week and it was not fun.

--- End quote ---

I'm jealous. I had bronchitis the entire month of January, along with a sinus infection.

OP, as someone that was just thru this, I think my colleagues were appreciative of being aware of their presence and trying to minimize their exposure. If the conference room is large enough, sit a couple seats away. Bring a whole box if tissues and a bag to dispose of them (to keep them out of sight) if leaving every time you need to blow isn't an option.  Bring hand sanitizer / Clorox wipes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version