General Etiquette > Life...in general

Wrong number, please stop calling

<< < (2/10) > >>

oceanus:

--- Quote ---If it's a collector, they likely know that someone has called that number before,
--- End quote ---

Yes, and in the case of repetitive calls from the same place, someone hasn't done their job by noting it's a wrong number.  Or they don't care; they'll just keep calling.

Your points re: suspecting I'm not telling the truth or covering for Mona are well taken.

I've also seen reports about abusive (even illegal) collection practices.  These people are not known for politeness.  A few have spoken to me in haughty, even gruff tones.

Pioneer:
Our phone number is a very similar to that of the county jail.  (Yes, we get some very interesting questions in the middle of the night!)  If we simply say, "I'm sorry, you have the wrong number." then typically we get another call 43 seconds later from the same individual.  We quickly learned to ask, "Are you trying to reach the jail?  If so, you have the digits in the wrong order." 

Redneck Gravy:
I have had the same cell number since cell numbers began...   

I once had a collecter tell me that xyz used to have this number they must have changed it.  I said, "no, I have always had this number, you have the wrong number."

If it is a text I would let them know it is the wrong number and then block their number. 

Outdoor Girl:
One of my coworkers was assigned a cell phone number (for her work phone) that was one digit off from a local pizza joint.  She eventually had to ask for a new number.

OP, I think you are fine to hang up once you've told them they've got the wrong number.  And deleting texts is fine, too, I think.  But I wouldn't just hang up as soon as they ask for 'Mona'.  Unless it is the 5th call in a row from the same number or something.  And at that point, I'd look into blocking that particular number.

Many years ago, this guy kept leaving a message on my answering machine for someone else.  He'd never leave a number and he'd never call when I was home.  So I finally resorted to changing my answering machine message, 'You have reached 123-4567.  Please leave a message after the tone.  If this is Nick, calling for Nancy, you've got the wrong number.'  I left it on for about a month.  Never heard from Nick again.  Amused my friends no end, though.

JennJenn68:

--- Quote from: Pioneer on February 06, 2013, 02:42:28 PM ---Our phone number is a very similar to that of the county jail.  (Yes, we get some very interesting questions in the middle of the night!)  If we simply say, "I'm sorry, you have the wrong number." then typically we get another call 43 seconds later from the same individual.  We quickly learned to ask, "Are you trying to reach the jail?  If so, you have the digits in the wrong order." 

--- End quote ---

Sounds like my in-laws, who used to have a number that was one digit off the local taxi service.  You can imagine the number of drunken phone calls they used to receive regularly on Friday and Saturday nights, after the bars closed...!  Politeness didn't work, apparently, since the inebriated callers rarely paid any attention to what the voice on the other end of the phone was saying after they figured out that they'd misdialed.  Sometimes they same person would call back several times before he/she got it right, and this was in the days of rotary dial phones, where making phone calls was a bit more of an adventure.

For the OP, I would agree with PPs that say that those callers who don't "get it" know full well that the person they are trying to reach is not available; they're just operating on the assumption that if they persist, "Mona" will suddenly be there when oceanus "gets tired of covering for her".  In those cases, politeness is wasted.  I would simply hang up with no further words.  They don't even deserve to be acknowledged.  I've done that with telemarketers that have been warned several times that I am on the "Do Not Call" list and that I've asked them not to call again.  If I answer the call by mistake, as soon as I figure out who it is, I'll cut the caller off in midsentence.  Life's too short to waste my time dealing with those who will not listen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version