General Etiquette > Life...in general

I don't text. Really, I don't.

<< < (23/49) > >>

Danika:
I have a cousin who works in the cell phone industry. His preferred method of communication is to talk by phone. I have a crazy schedule and my free time when I can focus on personal matters is around 1 or 2 am (like now, when I log in to EHell). So my preferred method of communication is email. No one wants me to call them at 2am, and I can't be on the phone for long during the daytime.

When I want to contact my cousin, I know that I can email him but that he might not check his email for several days and might not have time to reply for a few more. I just budget for that and email him about 10 days before I want to see him.

OP, if you friends texted you, but actually said "Do you want to get together for breakfast in two weeks" would that work for you? It sounds like the biggest issue is that your friends think that to get a hold of you at the last minute, they can text you. If they refuse to call on the phone, maybe you can at least convince them to plan things several days in advance instead of at the last minute. You'd still miss the last minute events, but would at least hear about other events, if, in fact, your friends do also plan things farther in advance.

Knitterly:

--- Quote from: Danika on February 08, 2013, 03:55:48 AM ---I have a cousin who works in the cell phone industry. His preferred method of communication is to talk by phone. I have a crazy schedule and my free time when I can focus on personal matters is around 1 or 2 am (like now, when I log in to EHell). So my preferred method of communication is email. No one wants me to call them at 2am, and I can't be on the phone for long during the daytime.

When I want to contact my cousin, I know that I can email him but that he might not check his email for several days and might not have time to reply for a few more. I just budget for that and email him about 10 days before I want to see him.

OP, if you friends texted you, but actually said "Do you want to get together for breakfast in two weeks" would that work for you? It sounds like the biggest issue is that your friends think that to get a hold of you at the last minute, they can text you. If they refuse to call on the phone, maybe you can at least convince them to plan things several days in advance instead of at the last minute. You'd still miss the last minute events, but would at least hear about other events, if, in fact, your friends do also plan things farther in advance.

--- End quote ---

You've hit it right on the nose.

Texting me for something a week or two in advance is just fine.  But texting me about something less than 24 hrs in advance means odds are, I won't get the message until it's too late.  Even if I check my phone once a day, sending a text about something less than 24 hours in advance almost guarantees I will miss it.

And that's frustrating.

auntmeegs:

--- Quote from: Knitterly on February 08, 2013, 10:55:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: Danika on February 08, 2013, 03:55:48 AM ---I have a cousin who works in the cell phone industry. His preferred method of communication is to talk by phone. I have a crazy schedule and my free time when I can focus on personal matters is around 1 or 2 am (like now, when I log in to EHell). So my preferred method of communication is email. No one wants me to call them at 2am, and I can't be on the phone for long during the daytime.

--- End quote ---

Texting me for something a week or two in advance is just fine.  But texting me about something less than 24 hrs in advance means odds are, I won't get the message until it's too late.  Even if I check my phone once a day, sending a text about something less than 24 hours in advance almost guarantees I will miss it.

And that's frustrating.

--- End quote ---

I guess I just don't see why you can't get in the habit of checking more often then. 

perpetua:

--- Quote from: Knitterly on February 08, 2013, 10:55:03 AM ---You've hit it right on the nose.

And that's frustrating.

--- End quote ---

But the reason you don't see the message until it's too late is because you are refusing to fall in line with the established practices of the rest of your friends. It's on you. There's no reason that you can't check your phone more often than you do, or have it with you, you just choose not to. That's your prerogative, of course, but if you miss things then it's really of your own making.

Tabby Uprising:

--- Quote from: auntmeegs on February 08, 2013, 10:59:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: Knitterly on February 08, 2013, 10:55:03 AM ---

--- End quote ---

And that's frustrating.

--- End quote ---

I guess I just don't see why you can't get in the habit of checking more often then.

--- End quote ---

I do think that would be the easiest fix. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version