General Etiquette > Life...in general

S/O I Don't Text - Differing Communication Preferences

<< < (6/6)

m2kbug:
Normally I just call the land line.  It's easier for me to reach one of my friends on their cell, even just leaving a message, since leaving a message on the home phone probably won't get passed along.  I don't have a cell phone, so texting isn't part of my mix of communication.  When I did have a cell, it had very limited minutes and was mostly just for emergencies and long distance calls, and not meant for any type of major communication.  I have a land line for regular communication.  I don't usually use email as major communication.  I would rather talk to people, but I will utilize email if it's the preferred method or easier.  I have a friend that doesn't have internet access at home.  Obviously they get a phone call.  For me, it depends on the recipient mostly.  My preference is good ol' fashioned phone calls.  I like email too if you don't really have the time to talk or don't really want to talk, it works. 

kckgirl:
I wrote a post but I think my computer ate it. My problem was with doctor's offices. If they have more than one number for you, in my experience, they will ONLY call the home phone, even if you tell them another number is better. Since I am usually not home during their office hours, I would come home to find a message to call them and everything was delayed by a day. I can't figure out why they even asked for the other numbers. I had to resort to telling them that I no longer have a home phone and now I usually talk to them the first time they call instead of playing phone tag.

In my case, answering my cell or taking short personal calls at work is not a problem. I know that won't work for everyone, but it does for me.

ladyknight1:
Within our circle, the land line is all but extinct. In my area, nearly all cellular providers offer a very reasonable inclusive rate, so that is what most people I communicate with have. I do check before texting or making unnecessary calls, as I would hate to incur unnecessary expense on their account. I absolutely don't miss paying long distance!

RooRoo:
I don't text. Why? I tried once, successfully sending the text after about 15 minutes. Yes, you read that right. 15 minutes. It said, in its entirety,
--- Quote ---Go Wolverines
--- End quote ---
So I gave up.

What puzzles me is the number of independent business people who never check their voice mails. Don't they want my business? I have asked more than one of them, "Didn't you get my message?" only to be told that they never check their voice mail. Well, I'm not going to spend an hour or so sending you a text, when I can say what I need in 20 seconds. I'll find someone else.

baglady:
I don't text. I have a dumb phone so texting is cumbersome. Most of my friends are over 50, so we aren't the texting generation.

Today, though, I had a very happy reunion with an old friend I hadn't seen in 30 years. I am 54. She is 75. I am an Internet junkie, and she doesn't do Internet ("Browser? Isn't that a dog's name?"). I should mention we had this reunion because I connected with her daughter on Facebook.

However, she does text. \As I was getting ready to leave, she asked me to call her when I got home and let her know I made it safely.

Me: No way I'm calling you at 1 in the morning!
She: Text me, then.
Me: I don't text. Never really learned how.
She: OK, then. You learn to text, and I'll get on Facebook!
Me: You got a deal!

When I got home, I texted her "Hi honey im home." She texted back ":-)"

We shall see if she makes good on the deal and joins Facebook.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version