General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

How to politely discourage being called "Kiddo" in the workplace?

<< < (4/4)

OP, for some reason, I woke up this morning thinking about your post.

My first reaction was to say "Don't get your knickers in a twist," but that's based on how I use "kiddo" and "sweetie." (I don't say "love.") For me, it's shorthand for "You're nice."

This probably isn't relevant: What came into my mind this morning was how I used to react to the words "girl" and "gal." In my 20s, I felt they smacked of both ageism and sexism, and got all wound up about them. But the people using them were innocent of harm, and suffered through a few lectures from me.  ::) Bless their patience!

So if the terms are common where you are, don't waste your time protesting; let it roll off your back. I would also ignore it if you otherwise have a good working re1ationship with these folks. As a Realtor, you don't want to burn any bridges.

But if you are genuinely being looked down on or condescended to, or even if you just want it to stop, I think the best way to handle it is with humor. Your tone can range from gentle to extremely pointed!

Some suggestions, since I'm feeling creative:

"Does your spouse/SO know you call me that?"
"Does this mean I should expect an engagement ring?" (But not if your creep-senses are tingling)
"Oh, that is so sixties!" (When Beatle-mania first swept the US, little girls like me used lots of Brit-speak, including "luv.")

Sweetie: "Just call me Raspberry - and watch out for the thorns!"
"That's me, half poodle, half pit bull!"
"Sweetie?! What are you on/drinking?"

Kiddo: "Good thing the grade school closed early so I could be here..."
"Now excuse me, I need my binkie/pacifier and a nap."
"Don't let it get out that I'm your kid! They might accuse us of conflict of interest!"

I hope this is helpful.  :)

I once had an officemate who called me "girl". Yes, he was 30 years older than me, but no that was not okay.  One day I got really sick of it and looked him right in the eye and said in my coldest, calm, unemotional voice "My name is girlmusic, and that is how I prefer to be addressed. Please do so in the future". He never did it again - I think it was the combination of tone and formal word choice.

To me, nicknames of this sort are an attempt to either breed familiarity or are an attempt to put me in my place (so to speak).

The supervisor of a print shop in a former job used to refer to all women as "Baby".  After repeated attempts to get him to stop I finally said "The only person in this world allowed to call me Baby is my DH and he wouldn't be too pleased to hear you do it.".  He stopped.

I would start by saying, very calmly "My name is Oopsie".

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version