Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Hosting horror stories

<< < (2/10) > >>

chibichan:

--- Quote from: Danika on February 07, 2013, 03:00:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: LeveeWoman on February 06, 2013, 11:02:30 PM ---It would be a cold day in hell before I'd invite SIL back to my house.

--- End quote ---

POD

--- End quote ---

Double POD .

Save your Awesome Hosting SkillsTM for those who appreciate them . SIL obviously doesn't .

kherbert05:
Agree with the others don't invite SIL. For the Christmas one your DH should have told his sister no - you don't get to come 6 hours early find something to do until the start of the party.

Cancelling because of the weather is acceptable. I don't drive in certain types of weather, safety is more important than a party.

cicero:
she definitely sounds like a pill, but i don't understand this:

--- Quote from: iggy257 on February 06, 2013, 10:53:52 PM ---At 8 in the morning, we get a call from SIL saying that they had seen the weather and decided to come up early, they were already on their way and the kids were hungry so be sure to have some breakfast for them.  We were still in bed!  I jumped up and threw on clothes and went down to the kitchen where breakfast was going to be cold cereal and milk, which aside from dinner, was about all that was in the fridge, and there wasn't enough for five more people.  So I went to the store while DH and DS1 tidied up.  Somehow we managed to put out breakfast and get the house enough in order before they arrived. 

--- End quote ---
why? this would have been a perfect opportunity for "sorry, that won't be possible".

Amava:

--- Quote from: cicero on February 07, 2013, 08:19:42 AM ---she definitely sounds like a pill, but i don't understand this:

--- Quote from: iggy257 on February 06, 2013, 10:53:52 PM ---At 8 in the morning, we get a call from SIL saying that they had seen the weather and decided to come up early, they were already on their way and the kids were hungry so be sure to have some breakfast for them.  We were still in bed!  I jumped up and threw on clothes and went down to the kitchen where breakfast was going to be cold cereal and milk, which aside from dinner, was about all that was in the fridge, and there wasn't enough for five more people.  So I went to the store while DH and DS1 tidied up.  Somehow we managed to put out breakfast and get the house enough in order before they arrived. 

--- End quote ---
why? this would have been a perfect opportunity for "sorry, that won't be possible".

--- End quote ---

Yeah seriously! I would have told her "make sure to pick up groceries for breakfast on your way", at least!

iggy257:
I think I have been maligning SIL a bit much, she is pretty bad, but we have other family members that are as bad as well.  We have discovered that "that won't be possible" is completely lost on her.  Simply a waste of breath.

MIL is very difficult in another sense.  She will not have us to her apartment.  I know that it is small and we are five people, but she has SIL and family on a regular basis, it is most likely because of our kids (2 with special needs) that had some rough years, especially when we were traveling on an extended basis.  She then is very upset that she can't see us for holidays, but won't come to our house either.  After being stood up numerous times at the last minute for holidays, we have scaled back.  She also cannot make plans that will be kept more than 2 days in advance.

My brother is the most boorish person you have ever met.  Last Thanksgiving he wanted to smash DS's ipad to prove that its case wasn't invincible.  I could go on, but I think that says enough.

My parents are very difficult as well.  They are slowly estranging themselves from all the other family members.  My mother tries to make plans for holidays months in advance so that DH's family has to make plans around her plans.  On thanksgiving, my parents told my grandmother that we were having the holiday at our vacation home, which is 6-7 hours from my grandmother, instead, we actually had it at my parents house, which is about 45 minutes from my grandmother, so we didn't have to see her.  They thought it was funny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version