Author Topic: Primal Diet  (Read 1815 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Primal Diet
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 11:18:17 PM »
Can a vegetarian be on a primal diet?

I've tried looking online, but the couple of articles I found had nasty (and mostly untrue) things about veganism and vegetarians.

Could someone give me an example of what a normal menu for the day would be like?

My diet has bothered me for some time. Im a vegetarian, but I seem to be stuck in a rut. I also don't feel very good. I can't cook very well and my regular dishes feel so heavy sometimes.

Here is a good one. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-go-primal-with-food-allergies-and-restrictions/#axzz2KH0DVU00 There is also a link near the bottom to a Paleohacker who is vegetarian and manages just fine. And there is a recipe search function on that site.

Other than that, I think eating as little processed food as possible would be ideal even if you are not absolutely Primal.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

AtraBecca

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »
This might be a stupid question, butÖ why is white rice ok but not brown? Everything Iíve ever read about diets always says eat brown, not white, as the brown has more nutrients.

My SO keeps talking about doing something like this, but then I go into a depression and want all sorts of carbs and sugars and fats and can never stay on the wagon.

Hi! I need to check my posts more regularly... The problem with brown rice is the anti-nutrients. Seeds in general don't want to be eaten, so they defend themselves with chemical warfare. :) Anti-nutrients bind to nutrients, preventing you from absorbing them, so brown rice is just not good. White rice is only okayish as a straight source of carbs. Personally, I have a desk job, so I almost never eat it. Usually when I go to a restaurant.

AtraBecca

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
Ohh, recipes! I can give some good recipes. XD My absolute FAVORITE salad dressing is as follows:

1 Tbsp olive oil or macadamia nut oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp - or less - of umeboshi paste

Stir vigorously and you end up with something that's pure deliciousness. Umeboshi paste is salted plums, I just picked it up on a lark and discovered how excellent it is as a salad dressing. It's absolutely vile if you try to eat it straight. Other recipes... well, I do a wicked curry these days! Here's my general curry recipe:

1 Tbsp or so of coconut oil, butter or grease drippings
Veggies of your choice - I typically use onion, carrot, celery, eggplant, red peppers, and sometimes random stuff like bok choy.
Meat of choice - If you use fish put it in at the end, since fish doesn't take long to cook.
1 cup of bone broth or just water
1 or 2 tomatoes
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp tumeric
1 Tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp chili powder - to taste
And sometimes I'll throw in random spices, like chinese 5 spice or garam masala. XD I'm pretty random. Oh, I also usually put in a few cloves of garlic.

They way I usually do it is to put in the butter or coconut oil first and saute the onions and garlic. Then I add the bone broth, followed by the veggies and the tomatoes. When I add the meat depends on what I'm using. If it's chicken, I'll cook it along with the onions and garlic to get some delicious chicken fat in there. If it's beef, lamb or whatnot, I add it with the veggies and simmer it all together. If it's fish, I wait until the veggies are pretty soft then put it in for just a short time. I always chop up the fish before I put it in. Just my basic curry, but it's great! :)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
I'm betting the answer is "no way" but my sweet tooth is making me ask anyway. Are there any artificial sweeteners that are acceptable on this diet?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
I'm betting the answer is "no way" but my sweet tooth is making me ask anyway. Are there any artificial sweeteners that are acceptable on this diet?

artificial sweeteners:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners/#axzz2KLZo26Ru

natural sweeteners:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-sugar/#axzz2KLZo26Ru

I read over that a few times when I was getting started. Now I use nothing as often as possible, honey or maple syrup when I need a sweetener and they work, and regular table sugar when I absolutely have to (like when I'm cheating and having ice cream or something - I look for the label that says sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup or whatever.)

Edited to add - I've linked to Mark's Daily Apple a few times so I feel like I should explain - There are a lot of resources for primal eating out there. I like MDA because it's extremely informative and free. I'm always leery of a supposed New Great Thing when you have to pay for a membership before they'll tell you anything about it. He does sell books (and supplements) but there isn't anything in his book that you can't find on the website. I don't have anything personally invested in the site other than it having been a big help to me in trying to figure out how to make this work for my body.  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:00:41 PM by JenJay »

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 05:07:14 PM »
Thanks!!

AtraBecca

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »

Personally, I use Xylitol, when I absolutely need sweet. It doesn't seem to hinder my weight loss in any way. :) Just make sure the dogs can't get at it, it's deadly to them.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 05:26:06 PM »

Personally, I use Xylitol, when I absolutely need sweet. It doesn't seem to hinder my weight loss in any way. :) Just make sure the dogs can't get at it, it's deadly to them.

I'd never heard of it, I'll check it out. I don't want to give up my coffee with cream and sugar and while maple syrup is a good sweetener for medium blends it's not as great in the dark blends, which I prefer. Thanks for the info!

m2kbug

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 05:45:30 PM »
This sounds like a diet that doesn't take a lot of thought and measuring and serving sizes, which is good, but you just might kill for an apple.   ;D  I've done the "mayo clinic" diet (this one is not from Mayo) and the Carbohydrate Addict's diet with success, but strangely, I can't stick to the protocol these days.  It's nice because you don't have to worry about portions and fats, just stay away from certain foods and carbs.  As someone who isn't much of a sweet eater, it's a good fit.  Unfortunately, it does require more cooking from scratch, especially if you would like to have faux bread or a "safe" dessert.  Thank you for sharing.  I'll look into it.