Author Topic: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!  (Read 3529 times)

Tai

New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »
Gearing up for 1-3 feet of snow here (at least one computer model puts 38" in my area, and every model I have seen so far has my city getting at least 2 feet of snow. 

For me, I have to be ready today since I leave on business tomorrow morning to return late Friday (aka, in the middle of the storm, so parking will be... fun.  Driving shouldn't be TOO bad, since I will be driving all highways and main roads before the forcasted heart of the storm.  I've still allotted myself 5 hours for the drive home, though. 

We're pretty well set- batteries and backups charged, candles and flashlights ready, icemelt and shovels stocked.  Food is never a problem at my house, and I pulled out the sternos in case we lose power so we can heat up all the canned stuff without blowing up the house...

DH has his go-bag packed in case his hospital doesn't let him leave, and if he can, he'll still appreciate the extra socks and pants.

As far as my car, that's packed up too.  A couple more jugs of washer fluid, blankets, emergency kit, and the thermos that I'll fill just before I leave.  My best tip for digging out a vehicle- bring your snow brushes inside before the storm, and have a spray bottle with vinegar and water to melt ice.  I also know where all to find a hotel room all along my route home, just in case. 

Most importantly, I've saved a few sport-top bottles to let the kids "write" in the snow with food coloring. 

Anyone else out there gearing up with me?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:04:53 AM »
Is it sad that I opened this thread expecting it to be about a sudden concentration of special-snowflake-type individuals in the New England region?   ;D

Stay safe!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
Here in NYC, we're looking forward to about 8 inches.  We'll be making an emergency run today for the necessities...wine and ice cream.  We'll also be getting bread, eggs and milk.  After all, everyone knows that the way to survive a big snow storm is to make French toast. 

Browyn

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »
We are in northeast Rhode Island (just over the Massachusetts border) and we are expecting 12 inches +

Every time I check the forcast it gets worse.

I am finding Nemo (the name of the storm) to be a PITA.   >:(

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »
I am in coastal Rhode Island's and I really hope that the system shifts and we just get rain. This is happened many times before with big forecasts.

The media here is being utterly ridiculous. Predicting A run on grocery stores and the like. This morning on the local news they had a reporter standing at an empty gas station reminding people to fill up their tanks. Then she pointed to the bare pavement and stated, "As you can see, not much snow yet."  ???

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
Here in NYC, we're looking forward to about 8 inches.  We'll be making an emergency run today for the necessities...wine and ice cream.  We'll also be getting bread, eggs and milk.  After all, everyone knows that the way to survive a big snow storm is to make French toast.

Providing of course, your don't have an electric stove, and your power doesn't go out!  I'm in Northwest NJ, and not quite sure how much we'll end up with. I did cancel my dentist appt for sat at 9 am. Its a bit of a hike, and I know i wont' feel like getting up really early to dig out my car, etc.  Don't have to work until 5 that night, so I hsould be ok by then,

i went yesterday and while I didn't get ice cream, i did get donuts, and I have plenty of wine!

GratefulMaria

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »
Central NH here.  I had planned some errands today, but DH needed the car -- we're down to one -- so I'll be heading out to the post office and bank, etc., early Friday morning.  It's still looking good.  DH has a meeting Saturday morning; I really hope it's rescheduled, he doesn't have to go anywhere otherwise.  Until Sunday.  He's flying out of state for work.  I suspect the airports will be a zoo.

We have "camping food" and a wood stove with a cook top surface, the snow blower is on the tractor, and there are plenty of books.

Looks like coastal areas expect the worst of it.  Stay safe!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »

Providing of course, your don't have an electric stove, and your power doesn't go out!  I'm in Northwest NJ, and not quite sure how much we'll end up with. I did cancel my dentist appt for sat at 9 am. Its a bit of a hike, and I know i wont' feel like getting up really early to dig out my car, etc.  Don't have to work until 5 that night, so I hsould be ok by then,

i went yesterday and while I didn't get ice cream, i did get donuts, and I have plenty of wine!

We have a gas stove and our apartment has its own furnace.  Electric lines here are all underground so, unless a sub station goes out, we'll be fine.  Just in case, we have a good supply of batteries, flashlights and candles.  Mr. Thipu is obsessive about batteries and flashlights. 

utkvolfan

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »
Seacoast NH here. I hit the store first thing this morning for more flashlights, batteries, and foods that don't require cooking. I'm trying to get caught up on laundry and dishes. The last I heard for my area was 18"-24" but they could have upped that since last night.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
After the last storm late October, we had utility crews trimming along a stretch of road for weeks.  It seems every time we had an outage in our neighborhood for the last few years, that's where they had to make the repairs.  It must have finally gotten bad / expensive enough for them to try heading it off.  Here's hoping!

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
I am watching the forecast nervously, trying to figure out whether I'll have to cancel/postpone my weekend visit to Boston (from New York City). I suspect I will pack this evening as usual, and make the final decision when I get up tomorrow morning.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Susiqzer

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:37:35 PM »
I'm in southeast MA, and I'm READY! We have milk, bread, and eggs (I think I'm going to make French toast for dinner tomorrow... just to make myself smile), plus a couple bottles of wine chilling in the fridge.

I'm working from home tomorrow, so I don't get stuck in crazy traffic on the way home (remembering 2007...).

Mikayla

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »
The only story I have to share is the short one about my insane jealousy.  Enjoy!

I'm outside Denver and squeezing ANY precip out of clouds appears to be a thing of the distant past. 

But I love the whole snowstorm thing, up to and including the packed grocery stores.

So...here's hoping it's beautiful but with minimal hazard or inconvenience.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 01:46:42 PM »

We have a gas stove and our apartment has its own furnace.  Electric lines here are all underground so, unless a sub station goes out, we'll be fine.  Just in case, we have a good supply of batteries, flashlights and candles.  Mr. Thipu is obsessive about batteries and flashlights.

I wouldn't worry about NYC.  NY1's recent weather on the 1's is predicting snow yes, but temperatures over freezing (35-37 ish) so it'll melt pretty quickly.

I do like your thinking though about emergency food supplies being ice cream and wine though!  Just don't forget the cinnamon & syrup for that french toast  :)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
Whoop!  Scratch my last post, now they are saying 12-18 inches for most of NYC and Westchester.