Author Topic: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!  (Read 2526 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
The forecasting for this storm has been all over the place. Apparently there are two models, the American and the Europeon. As of Wed. the European model was predicting heavy snow for my area, while the American one was predicting just a rain/snow mix. Now the forcast has gone between 6 to 12 inches and between 12 and 24.

bonyk

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 05:42:46 PM »
Here in NYC, we're looking forward to about 8 inches.  We'll be making an emergency run today for the necessities...wine and ice cream.  We'll also be getting bread, eggs and milk.  After all, everyone knows that the way to survive a big snow storm is to make French toast.

I am really, really, really wishing I had waited another week to start my diet.  I was doing fine until the blizzard announcement.  Need lasagna and ice cream, stat!

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
They're saying 12"-24" in Boston with 50mph gusts, and I'm not looking forward to it. I think I might work from home tomorrow, just to keep my parking spot! (And I'm definitely not parking under any trees!) I'm stocked up on water, candles, and batteries, and I'm recharging my lantern now. I'm going to have to clean my bedroom and do some laundry, though, cause if we lose power I am going to break my foot on the dirty laundry lying around!  ;D

I'm glad you're so prepared, Tai! I hope your drive is uneventful!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »
Watching a little wistfully from the Washington, DC area.  Not that I want 24 inches, if only because I'd have to shovel it.  Five inches though, is that so much to ask?  One lousy little storm of 5 inches?   ;)

Good luck, New England.  May your power lines stand tall.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
I'm watching the Weather Channel and the European model is looking ominous for NYC.  Still, we're set.  Mr. Thipu has laid in a good supply of sterno so we can eat fondue or Mongolian Hot Pot if things go south. 

We do hope that the people in New England will be warm and safe at home before the weather gets really bad. 

Please, keep in touch while Nemo comes through. 

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
I watched the Weather Channel a little while ago, when Jim Cantore was broadcasting from Boston. Usually, whenever he shows up, it's not good news, weather wise.

Everyone in the Northeast: be careful and stay safe!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »
I'm a quite a bit north of you guys and won't get the full brunt of the storm but I think we are going to get more that what they predicted.

They said 20 cm (8") by the end of the storm tomorrow afternoon.  Ummmm, guys?  It's only 10:00 pm on Thursday and I already have a good 4" in my driveway.  I think I'd better set the alarm early to get up and blow out the driveway.

It won't be a huge deal for me - we are used to big dumps of snow, here.  The main roads will all be plowed by morning and since one of the City Bigwigs lives on my street, I won't even have any trouble getting out to the main road.  After bus routes, i think my street is one of the first ones to get plowed.

Good night, everyone.  Stay safe!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Tai

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »
Crap.  Stuck despite busting rear all day. We originally planned this job as a 3 day-er, but figured we could do it in 2. Then things went a LOT quicker today and at 1ish it looked like we would get out in one long day if we skipped having a real lunch. Unfortunately we are still a couple hours away from being done. I may or may not have gotten "hangry" and sore.

Good news is, I will be on the jobsite by 9 and hopefully headed home by 11 or 12. With any luck I can be home before dark and find a place to park. Will have to gas up on the way, not much choice there.

Most news stations are saying 30ish for me. I wonder where we will put it all!

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:05 AM »
It's already snowing here! I think they cancelled school for the entire state of Rhode Island for today yesterday.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 09:19:42 AM »
THE LIBRARY CLOSED FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!   While I am not a huge fan of blizzards and high winds and power outtages, I am mentally dancing around with joy because, after the week we have had (it was a baked h*ll sandwich with a side order of garbage) we NEED the rest.  My plan?  Write, play as many online escape games as I can stand and, oh yeah, SLEEP.

Can't imagine what the Mayor said to Stonecold to make her close because as of eight a.m., she was (according to person who called to let me know we're closed) Stoney was advertising on the radio that we would be open and people could come in to charge their cell phones and what nots.   By the time she agreed to close, most of the staff was already there...glad to be going home, of course,  but furious that she waited until the last minute.

Stoney herself?  She was home...she doesn't like driving in the snow.  And I guess the two to three feet they are predicting for us was the deciding factor. 

Hope everyone stays safe and warm.   Tai, be careful!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:27:30 AM by Yarnspinner »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
9:30AM.  It was snowing earlier in the morning but it's raining here now.  The real mess is now supposed to come in later in the afternoon. We should be able to get out for a little while after lunch to buy some fruit and pay a visit to the book store. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
Here you go, Yarnspinner - this game will suck up your day: http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game3.asp

selkiewoman

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
Yesterday my son flew from Las Vegas to Scotland via Newark.  He had been religiously checking the weather forecast for his final destination for a good week, but for some reason, none of us thought to check the Newark outlook.  He did get out OK before all the cancellations, and I guess we saved ourselves a good fret.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
We did have about 8" down this morning, that I blew out of my driveway.  But I broke a shear pin in the process.  I managed to finish it but I'm going to have to hunt down my spares and get that fixed when I get home before I can do it again.

Our rule for shutdown is that the city buses have to be pulled off the roads.  And right now, they are still running.  It is still snowing pretty heavily, though.  And our lovely snow removal company for work plowed in the gate to our compound.  They are supposed to unlock the gates and do one pass through so we can get the vehicles out for them to come back in later in the day and clear it.  Fortunately, the coworker who arrived before me was able to get the gate open enough to squeeze through and then he shovelled it out.  I helped out with clearing vehicles to get them moved.

Off to check the city website and see if the buses are still running.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GratefulMaria

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
We did have about 8" down this morning, that I blew out of my driveway.  But I broke a shear pin in the process.  I managed to finish it but I'm going to have to hunt down my spares and get that fixed when I get home before I can do it again.

Our rule for shutdown is that the city buses have to be pulled off the roads.  And right now, they are still running.  It is still snowing pretty heavily, though.  And our lovely snow removal company for work plowed in the gate to our compound.  They are supposed to unlock the gates and do one pass through so we can get the vehicles out for them to come back in later in the day and clear it.  Fortunately, the coworker who arrived before me was able to get the gate open enough to squeeze through and then he shovelled it out.  I helped out with clearing vehicles to get them moved.

Off to check the city website and see if the buses are still running.   ;D

DH uses plain bolts as a substitute, just matches up the size.  We have a box of them down basement, after hunting in vain for the real thing.