Author Topic: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!  (Read 3645 times)

Kariachi

Re: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »
Western NY, don't know how much snow we're supposed to get (supposedly 8 inches, I'm not holding my breath) but I'm already about ready to kill myself just so I don't have to shovel again. I've already cleared two batches of three inches each (heavy stuff too), and it's still coming down at about an inch an hour with no end in sight.

I'm beginning to hate living between three lakes. Lake Ontario to the north. Lake Erie to the west. Lake Alice to the south. It doesn't help that my parents are the ones that keep up with the weather, they left for the Gulf Coast yesterday without warning me, and if my sister knew how bad it was gonna be, well, she never tells me anything either.  >:(
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Tai

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »
Home and safe!  Only took me 2 hours to make the 85 mile drive, and it didn't get bad until I got off the highway.  Stopped and found that Price Chopper still has bread, milk, water, and more importantly, bagels!

Got gas on the way home, so the rumors of shortages aren't as bad as the news seems to think it is.  A couple of stations have gone all news locally. 

Parking spot real close to my house, in "allowed" parking areas (we have a parking ban in effect).

Kindle, phone, and backups are on the chargers.  Percolator pulled out in case of power loss. 

Ban on travel at 4pm today for MA. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
Home and safe!  Only took me 2 hours to make the 85 mile drive, and it didn't get bad until I got off the highway.  Stopped and found that Price Chopper still has bread, milk, water, and more importantly, bagels!

Got gas on the way home, so the rumors of shortages aren't as bad as the news seems to think it is.  A couple of stations have gone all news locally. 

Parking spot real close to my house, in "allowed" parking areas (we have a parking ban in effect).

Kindle, phone, and backups are on the chargers.  Percolator pulled out in case of power loss. 

Ban on travel at 4pm today for MA.

Yay - glad you made it home, got gas and supplies!  i'm working from home today, and its been coming down since early this morning (Northwest NJ) i'm just dreading digging out my car; while they plow my complex, i have to dig it out. esp since they menmtioned its heart attack snow, and i dig out my 87 year old neighbors car too. i will just take it slow; may go out later and do one pass then the rest tomrorow.

but i have food etc. too. just hoping the power stays on since i have all electric, stove included!

LibraryLady

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »
Well, I made it to the library in only 15 minutes in bright sunshine and minimal sand blowing ;D , temperature is now 54 deg.,  and the sun is shining
and nice blue skies, horizon to horizon. 

Struggling with sinus headache from the wind blowing yesterday and hanging in the air, as the sun was setting, it looked like it had gauze covering it.

Seriously, hope everyone on the East Coast under the snow storm gets home safe and there are no power outages.  Our daughter lives in Hollywood MD;
and I don't know if it is forecast that far south, but do take care.

Best wishes from West Texas

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »
Ah yes, the magnificent West Texas headaches, I went home yesterday and took a nap with a cool washcloth, feel better today.

My thoughts and prayers are with the New England area.  I can't imagine that much snow. 

Good luck everyone!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
I know I have some; I just have to find them.  If I can't find them, I'll ask my neighbour to do my driveway for me and I'll head out tomorrow to find replacements.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MsCopper

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »
Governor Patrick has banned all vehicle travel after 4pm for the state of Massachusetts. Be safe out there fellow Bostonians! 
"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday"

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
RI just declared a State of Emergency as well.

Secret Squirrel

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
I'm in Southern NH.  No state of emergency declared here (yet).  the big storm is supposed to come in around 7.  Right now, we have about an inch, moderate gusty winds, but nothing too bad yet. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »
Western NY, don't know how much snow we're supposed to get (supposedly 8 inches, I'm not holding my breath) but I'm already about ready to kill myself just so I don't have to shovel again. I've already cleared two batches of three inches each (heavy stuff too), and it's still coming down at about an inch an hour with no end in sight.

This is me yesterday in the suburbs of Chicago where it snowed from late morning to night.  I'm aching all over today.  The last shoveling was at 10:30pm and I still woke up this morning with snow on the ground. Ugh!  As usual, the worst part is the end of the driveway where the snowplows went by. 

It sounds worse for the East Coast though, so everybody stay safe and warm!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »
THE LIBRARY CLOSED FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!   While I am not a huge fan of blizzards and high winds and power outtages, I am mentally dancing around with joy because, after the week we have had (it was a baked h*ll sandwich with a side order of garbage) we NEED the rest.  My plan?  Write, play as many online escape games as I can stand and, oh yeah, SLEEP.

Can't imagine what the Mayor said to Stonecold to make her close because as of eight a.m., she was (according to person who called to let me know we're closed) Stoney was advertising on the radio that we would be open and people could come in to charge their cell phones and what nots.   By the time she agreed to close, most of the staff was already there...glad to be going home, of course,  but furious that she waited until the last minute.

Stoney herself?  She was home...she doesn't like driving in the snow.  And I guess the two to three feet they are predicting for us was the deciding factor. 

Hope everyone stays safe and warm.   Tai, be careful!!!!!

I'm a little north of you, in southern NH. We got an email from the city last night, telling us City Hall would close at noon and the library would close at 1 pm. And warning everyone to call the library on Saturday to see if they will be open, because right now, no one is really sure how much snow we will get. We're right on the line between getting a foot of snow and getting 24" of snow--it all depends on where the storm moves.

Seriously, all the readers were in the library yesterday, getting their storm supplies. And fortunately, books will keep for days and days and not go bad.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Kariachi

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »

This is me yesterday in the suburbs of Chicago where it snowed from late morning to night.  I'm aching all over today.  The last shoveling was at 10:30pm and I still woke up this morning with snow on the ground. Ugh!  As usual, the worst part is the end of the driveway where the snowplows went by. 

It sounds worse for the East Coast though, so everybody stay safe and warm!

It's even better when the snow plows only go by every four hours or so. I've started just clearing the end of the drive so my sister can get in a park, as well as a path to the door. Took me over half an hour.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

LibraryLady

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
Hey, Redneck Gravy

I was in your lovely city of Odessa??  passed by Midland in I-20 going home Thursday, hence the headache today.  Had to go visit SIL at Sherwood Place.

\\  //
     O

That was my hair afterwards  :)

LL

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Got at least another 8" during the day today.  Got my car plowed in at work but some nice person dug it out and brushed it off for me!  So I got out of the parking lot and headed home.  When I got home, my driveway was clear!  My neighbour did it.  I had a little bit of cleaning up to do and I had to shovel the front steps but that didn't take long.

So now I don't have to rush to change out the shear pin in my snowblower.  That'll be tomorrow's job.  As well as shovelling off my deck, where the snow has drifted almost waist high in the middle of the deck.  Yeah, that's going to be a workout!

Plus, I'll have to do some baking for my neighbour and maybe for work on Monday to say thanks.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »
I am grumpily, though warmly and safely, at home in New York City right now. I was supposed to be visiting my girlfriend this weekend, in Boston. I had a ticket for a 10:00 Amtrak train, which would have gotten me in at 1:40. Last night they announced that the T (Boston area mass transit) would stop running at 3:30, and by this morning I decided that I would rather visit another weekend than risk being stuck at South Station; trying to find a hotel room near the station; or, worst, getting stranded somewhere between the railroad station and my girlfriend's house, if the buses didn't turn up on time.

Somewhere around noon I started second-guessing myself, and had to remember that I didn't just stay home to be safe, but in order to not spend several hours fretting about whether I would get there, or what would happen if I didn't. (Spending the weekend snowed in together would have been tolerable, if not our first choice.)

I suspect I will be more annoyed if I wake up tomorrow morning to six inches of snow than to sixteen, regardless of how much snow Boston gets.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.