Author Topic: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!  (Read 3323 times)

chibichan

Re: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
I just checked in with my folks by Skype , they're in the NH Seacoast . Sounds like they're all set - mercifully , Dad had a generator installed last summer , plus they have a woodstove and a snowblower . That takes a huge load off my mind .

When I was living in the same area , I used to get psyched for big snowstorms . I would gleefully go shopping for goodies and spend the day in my PJs , lounging on the couch with the 2 cats . It helped that all of my utilities were underground so I never lost power . Of course , I have blocked out the memeories of having to shovel the #@* driveway later . ;D

Take care everyone - I have my fingers crossed that you will all be safe and warm .

I am sending extra good wishes for those of you who are , in military terms , mission essential . Without your dedication , our world would be much worse off . Thank you , and be safe .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Secret Squirrel

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
The Governor in NH just declared a state of emergancy.  No mail will be delivered tomorrow either. 

I love a good snowstorm, so long as there are no major power outages. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »
Got at least another 8" during the day today.  Got my car plowed in at work but some nice person dug it out and brushed it off for me!  So I got out of the parking lot and headed home. 

One winter I dug out about 3 stranger's cars... Not because I was nice, but because all silver Camrys look the same covered in snow.
I do though try to make a point to dig helpfully - clearing in front or in back of my car parked on the street, often its easy enough to dig out totally between cars, not just free mine - it gives me more space to stand/maneuver the shovel, and to pull out. And I hope it sets a good precedent for the neighborhood.

POF

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »
Southeast Mass - I worked from home today and hoping we don't lose any trees ! so far electricity is on.....

Lots of members near me ! Howdy

Yarnspinner

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »
Here you go, Yarnspinner - this game will suck up your day: http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game3.asp

awwwwww...they're too cute to kill...reminds me of the lemmings game where the lemmings yell yippee after their escape...thanks for adding to my arsenal of "I should be doing X but would MUCH rather do this!"

Yarnspinner

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »
THE LIBRARY CLOSED FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!   While I am not a huge fan of blizzards and high winds and power outtages, I am mentally dancing around with joy because, after the week we have had (it was a baked h*ll sandwich with a side order of garbage) we NEED the rest.  My plan?  Write, play as many online escape games as I can stand and, oh yeah, SLEEP.

Can't imagine what the Mayor said to Stonecold to make her close because as of eight a.m., she was (according to person who called to let me know we're closed) Stoney was advertising on the radio that we would be open and people could come in to charge their cell phones and what nots.   By the time she agreed to close, most of the staff was already there...glad to be going home, of course,  but furious that she waited until the last minute.

Stoney herself?  She was home...she doesn't like driving in the snow.  And I guess the two to three feet they are predicting for us was the deciding factor. 

Hope everyone stays safe and warm.   Tai, be careful!!!!!

I'm a little north of you, in southern NH. We got an email from the city last night, telling us City Hall would close at noon and the library would close at 1 pm. And warning everyone to call the library on Saturday to see if they will be open, because right now, no one is really sure how much snow we will get. We're right on the line between getting a foot of snow and getting 24" of snow--it all depends on where the storm moves.

Seriously, all the readers were in the library yesterday, getting their storm supplies. And fortunately, books will keep for days and days and not go bad.

Our favorite peeps are the ones who arrive just as we are closing because of a storm and insist we stay open while they select videos so they won't have to converse with each other while stuck at home. 

I know a LOT of our patrons are going to be furious that we are closed because, well, how DARE we stay home in the middle of a blizzard when THEY don't have a computer at home to play Farmville. 

Stay safe guys.

Susiqzer

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »
How's everyone doing this morning? We easily got 3 feet of snow here!

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
Hope everyone is okay, and I just had to note this from Weatherbug.....

Yesterday at 6:45pm, they canceled the US Sledding Championship in Maine.  Because of a blizzard.  That just amuses the heck out of me.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »
Here in southern New Hampshire, we got somewhere between 20-30 inches of snow. It's hard to tell, because it's still snowing and the wind is still blowing it around. The back of my car is completely free of snow, but the hood is buried in a drift that covers the windshield. How do they tell how much snow fell, when it's drifting all over the place?

We didn't lose power, the plows are getting the roads clear and my neighbor managed to leave for work an hour ago. The local mall is closed  until this afternoon--first time I've seen them do that!

A special thank you to the plow guys, the police, the firemen, the power company crews and all the behind the scenes people who had to be out and about in this mess.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

POF

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »
We had the lights flicker a few times and cut off an on twice - but we have power.... Lots of folks in Mass and RI are without power though. We have about 25 inches - but it dirfted really high.

DH and the boys are snowblowing away - and helping out older neighbors and / or neighbors without snowblowers.

I am toasty warm, reading, doing some stuff, planning the cruise and thinking of making homemade pasta with clam sauce for dinner.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »
Officially have 2 feet in my area, but the drifts are fierce.  Had to carry my shih tzu from the door to the street, because the snow was over her head (and even over my knees).  Felt like a good 30 inches.

Will dig out the car tomorrow -- they are forecast severe winds here and I don't want to lose power (electric heat) while I'm outside.

More alarmed by the people in my apartment complex who thought they were going to work.  30 minutes of dog walking showed 5 people trying to leave and at least 3 spin outs.

Formerly Mrs.Bart

Yarnspinner

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »
At least two feet here.  Wind is still blowing and howling, but the sun is shining.  Looking out my windows, I can see that the snow stretches smoothly and evenly from one side of the road to the other.  While some cars are only buried up to their front hoods, others are completely obscured from view.  Watched one of my neighbors wade out into the white, hip deep, so her dog could avail itself of the facilities, so to speak.  The DOG was having a blast, hopping up and down and round and round like "Mommy, Mommy, look at the funky white stuff, Mommy, isn't it cool, Mommy?"  Mommy didn't seem to think it was that cool, but she was taking pix so at least she was enjoying her dog's antics.

We will likely be one of the last places to get plowed out.  As long as I have heat, water and can turn on the TV if I run out of reading, I am pretty happy. 

Miss March

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
Solid three feet here. I had to call out from work. It took us 5 hours to dig a channel through the snow so that one car can get out of the driveway, and it's a tight fit at that. We don't have a snow blower or anything, so it's all done by shovel here. The snowbanks are a good five feet tall.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
We got several inches in NYC, but less then a foot.  Some parts of LI and Westchester though got a foot or more.  I live in an apartment (read: super shovels our walks) and have a parking spot in a lot, but I was thinking of heading outside to good samaritan shovel out some of the cars that got plowed in - my street has 4 bus lines so the plows have been coming every 45 minutes or so for the last 115 hours.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »
Hugs to all. Please remember, if the power goes out, your garage and balcony can save your food. Been there, done that - more than once!

I am not happy in cities, but have learned that I don't dislike city dwellers. The sight of business owners out shoveling Broadway and 42nd St. looks like us small town folks doing that, too, and then helping our less able neighbors.

Watching, and hoping for the best for you all!