Author Topic: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!  (Read 3450 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: New England blizzard- or, finally some snow around here!
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
The snowbanks are a good five feet tall.

My snowbanks got so high one year, my snowblower wouldn't get the snow that high.  When I was shovelling, I found it easier to stand with my back to the bank, shovel up snow in front of me and toss it up and over my shoulder/head.

Got my snowblower fixed.  It took me longer to find the dang shear pins than it did to change it out.  Got the plow pile at the bottom of the driveway done so I'm going to head out to Micheals to use my 30% off coupon that is only good for today.  It's bright and sunny right now so it shouldn't be too bad.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Browyn

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »
Rhode Island here, got about 2 feet and never lost power (knock on wood).

Staying inside and warm, hopeing by tomorrow the roads will be clear and go out.

POF

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »
My DH and teen sons are out being good Samaritans.... they are helping to snow blow and shovel driveways of our neighbors.... in particular we have some older neighbors, a divorced woman who lives by ourselves and some newly weds who don't have a blower.

They won't take any money - but they help them get it under control.  OK one of the neoghbors does bring them cookies !

Our nasty neighbor next door - who threatens to sue us occasionally - we don't help.  We sort of feel bad because he has health issues, but honestly - I would be afraid he would sue os for something.

POF

Kathleen

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
Two Feet here on the north shore of Long Island.   We lost power for 22 hours (It came on around 6PM, this evening).   We have dug out the driveway but since they only plowed one side of our street so far, we will get plowed in when they come through again. 

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »
Mass/NH border.  Think we got about 3 feet, not really sure.  We couldn't even open our door this morning!  We finally got out and DH shoveled the area around his car. My car is completely blocked in and is tomorrow's problem.  Everything around here closed today, but most plan to reopen tomorrow.  Even church emailed and said that all services were cancelled for Sunday. 

No power loss, but we nearly never lose power. Not even Irene/Sandy caused a flicker.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
We just got our power back, after loosing it around 8 last night. I am grateful though, since the estimates said Monday, and the temps are supposed to get down to 8 tonight.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2013, 11:52:04 PM »
Central NH here, no loss of power, just a lot of fluffy snow.  My car looked like a cupcake.  I took pictures for our west coast children -- they were home for winter break and will be sorry to have missed all this.  We spent the day digging out; I did the detail work, and DH snow blowed our really long driveway.  It took until around 5 PM.  Our dog was absolutely horrified and did dolphin dives through the snow before finding an acceptable spot to powder her nose.  DH dug her a couple of rest areas in the yard.

DH had a flight scheduled down to Washington DC tomorrow that was already cancelled yesterday, so he made a reservation on the train, which got cancelled today.  He ended up reserving a rental car that he'll turn in as soon as he gets down there.  He was on hold with Amtrak for almost ninety minutes this evening, complete with 1970's music which he put on speaker phone.  We heard Donna Summer and ABBA!