Author Topic: I Did It!  (Read 3132 times)

Sparkle Star

I Did It!
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »
Today I received a request from a client for a suddenly-urgent job with a short timescale.
I need to interview five different people and write an article about The Subject, get approvals, make amendments, get approvals again and submit by next Friday.

Ok, that's do-able with a little juggling of other projects/priorities already scheduled.

I just received a further request to submit the draft by 9am Monday. I'm doing the interviews this afternoon and I'm out of the office tomorrow, so planned to write the draft on Monday. I explained why I'd have trouble meeting their deadline but said I would of course supply the text as soon as possible.

The one-line response from one of those involved: "I don't see why you can't do it over the weekend."

It's not unusual for me to work weekends - in fact, I've done so every one since New Year.
I like to meet my clients' needs and I think it's fairly standard for most of us who are self-employed to work out-of-hours. But I don't tell them when I've done so, and I certainly don't believe they have a right to expect it.

I've also worked late three nights already this week and have spent no leisure time with my husband (we work together but it's not the same thing!) or my daughter, so we have plans for a family weekend.

I was also a bit miffed by the response, so for once I didn't hesitate to say: "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

Feels good....  :)
Love, dance and chocolate fudge cake - what more do I need?

BeagleMommy

Re: I Did It!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »
Perfect!  Enjoy your family weekend.  Sounds like you need it and deserve it.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »
Awesome spine! I'm happy for you!

Bottlecaps

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:27:14 AM »
Way to go!  8)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:04 PM »
Well done!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
Perfect!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:26:39 AM »
Just because you are self-employed does not mean that you are on-call 24/7. 

would this same client ask a store to open two hours early just for her, or demand a teller at a bank on a Sunday afternoon?  self-employed does not mean "desperate for anything I can get so I will be at your personal beck and call any time you demand!"

You carve out your own time, and good for you for making it stick.

:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.