Author Topic: S/O from I don't text--How do you keep your cell phone with you at all times?  (Read 2073 times)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Inside my purse. Which means that it is technically not on me at all times if I have locked it inside my boss' office at work, or if it is in the back of the classroom during a group fitness class.
I have pet mice!

singingserpent

• I like pie.
Our family doesn't have a landline, we are all on cells. We have a device like this http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PhoneLynx-Connection-BT-215/dp/B0043D2IBE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4 at home that uses bluetooth to connect our cell phones to regular cordless phones in pretty much every room in our house. When we get home, the cell phones stay near the device, and any calls are done on the cordless handsets.
Our family are not texters so we don't worry about missing texts because we don't get/make many of them.

mmswm

I'm also very concerned about this when it comes to seniors and low-income families.  There is a huge gap and it is widening every day with those two groups who many times cannot afford this kind of technology and they are being left out--both socially and in other areas because almost everything requires use of the internet now.

While this doesn't help seniors, I can alleviate some of the concern for low-income families in some states in the US.  I don't know about other countries, but many US states have an agreement with Virgin Mobile (though it operates under a different name) that provides "no frills" phones to people who qualify for medicaid/food stamps/TANF for free.  Granted they're not smart phones, but the phones provided are capable of sending and receiving text messages and phone calls. The free plans are pretty stripped down.  It's something like 300 minutes and 200 free text messages, but the user does have the option of upgrading to a different plan at a cost that's far below the regular price for the same plan.  For instance, if the regular "unlimited" plan is $55, then the cost of a person who's eligible for the program is $25 (I think...I'm going from memory for when I looked it up quite a few months ago). It's not available in all states yet, but they are working on expanding the program nation wide.  I think that, for the most part, the states where it's not available are the states that Virgin doesn't have service coverage.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I tried wearing my cell phone on my belt back in the summer when we had a family crisis.  Drove me crazy.  I'm so short waisted that it dug into me whenever I sat down.

It normally lives in the back pocket of my purse, sometimes charged, most times not especially now that the battery is giving up the ghost.  I have a car charger and a wall charger so if it is dead and I need to use it, I can.

It is technically a work phone.  As long as we don't make long distance calls for non-work purposes, we are allowed to use it for personal calls.  But because it's a work phone, only a very select group of people have my number.  And I usually only monitor it when there is something going on.  I have learned to text but I only tend to do it with my nephews and brother.  And only when there is stuff going on.  We don't live in the same city so I don't have to worry about the day to day stuff.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MrTango

Currently, my cell phone is plugged in at my desk at work and I'm using it as an MP3 player.

I keep it with me 24/7, but most of the time, the ringer is turned off.

NotTheNarcissist

At work:
on my desk.

At home:
kitchen: table or counter or window sill
living room: table
bedroom: end table
Home office: desk
Outside: any pocket, lawn furniture table or occasionally my bra

In car:
Drink holder or dash

I have lost my phone many times & subsequently found it. During one of the more emotional "phone losings" I googled how to stop losing your phone. The best solution I found was this. Keep it with your keys & sunglasses. Every time you leave a room, home, office, car, store, restaurant, do a "pat down":
Keys? Check!
Glasses? Check!
Phone? Check!

This is the only thing that has worked for me. I was a chronic phone loser for years, and occasionally still panic only to find it quickly.

As an FYI to those who may not know..... Apple has a "find my phone" feature. You can log into a website & click find my phone & it will find the phone if all the proper settings have been configured to find it.

Cami

At work: On my desk.

In car: In one of the cup holders.

When I am home: My home has two floors. I put the phone in a central location on each floor when I am there. For example, I put the phone next to the landline in the kitchen when I'm upstairs and on a cabinet next to the landline in the family room when I'm downstairs. I can hear the phone fine from anywhere on those floors. That way I'm not carrying it around, but I can easily access should I need to. And since the phones are all together, it's always easy to remember where it is and to remember to put it back there when I'm done with it.

Out shopping, etc: In my purse.

When I'm eating in a restaurant, it stays in my purse. I don't interrupt meals for phone calls or texts.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
It's just second nature to me to have my iPhone with me at nearly all times. I don't even think about it. It's like how I always have a million tissues and lipbalms in my pockets, purses, up my sleeve, etc. When I'm at home I keep it on my bedside cabinet or on a table, I don't carry it around. Sometimes I put it in my boot if I'm not wearing something with pockets.

Same here, and i didn't even want one to begin with. I didn't want a cell phone at all until the land line started giving me too many problems to be worth keeping, then i didn't want a smart phone but i got one for free so i decided to give it a try. Within 4 days i was in love with the thing. It's just natural to grab it and keep it by me. At work it is often on a charger next to me, at home it is either in my hand or somewhere nearby. I don't always take it with me if i am going to a concert; but most of the time it is just part of the pat-down - keys, wallet, chapstick, phone, good to go. I love having it on me. I've said before, the fact that i have the collective knowledge of mankind in my pocket is a wonder, and i just love it, and use it a whole lot.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Deetee

• Super Hero!
I can answer this.

Up until about a year ago, I had a no frills pay-as-you-go cell phone. I had it with me some of the time. I would need to remember to leave the house with it if I needed it that day. It was a bit of big deal to make sure it was charged/sound on/with me. I lost it in the bottom of bags for days or weeks and wouldn't notice it was missing until it had run out of batteries and then it was extra hard to find because I couldn't call it. It was useful a few times a month and worth the $10/month I paid for it. My husband had a similiar phone.

Then I bought top of the line smartphones for us. Now my phone is always with me. It is my camera, my email, my texting, my maps, my clock, my cooking timer, my internet surfer (though I am on my laptop right now as it is easier for typing) my flashlight, my backup hard drive, my video player, studfinder, pedometer, game player, ereader, Netflix viewed, bus schedule, library catalouge etc.... I check it all-the-time. Because I use it for everything and all the time, any annoyance of keeping it with me is negated. I set it up with a tracker so I can find it from my husband's phone or from my laptop and it is never missing for more than a couple hours (usually on a shelf in the house somewhere). It is next to me in the house, in my bag at school, in my purse or the counsel in the car, in my hands in the bus, in my pocket when walking...etc...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I'm also very concerned about this when it comes to seniors and low-income families.  There is a huge gap and it is widening every day with those two groups who many times cannot afford this kind of technology and they are being left out--both socially and in other areas because almost everything requires use of the internet now.

While this doesn't help seniors, I can alleviate some of the concern for low-income families in some states in the US.  I don't know about other countries, but many US states have an agreement with Virgin Mobile (though it operates under a different name) that provides "no frills" phones to people who qualify for medicaid/food stamps/TANF for free.  Granted they're not smart phones, but the phones provided are capable of sending and receiving text messages and phone calls. The free plans are pretty stripped down.  It's something like 300 minutes and 200 free text messages, but the user does have the option of upgrading to a different plan at a cost that's far below the regular price for the same plan.  For instance, if the regular "unlimited" plan is $55, then the cost of a person who's eligible for the program is $25 (I think...I'm going from memory for when I looked it up quite a few months ago). It's not available in all states yet, but they are working on expanding the program nation wide.  I think that, for the most part, the states where it's not available are the states that Virgin doesn't have service coverage.

It's the Lifeline program, and many companies including Virgin offer it. It is available throughout the US, and provides discounts for both wireless and wireline phone service. There's currently a huge push to reform the program, however, since there is a ton of fraud and abuse of it.  I work in the telecom industry, so this is something that I'm pretty familiar with.  one way to qualify is to be enrolled in any type of federal assistance program; such as Medicaid, Section 8 (housing), national school lunch program etc. 

for anyone who's interested, here's a link to the FCC's page on it.  http://www.fcc.gov/guides/lifeline-and-link-affordable-telephone-service-income-eligible-consumers

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I have one, a prepaid smartphone, but I barely use it. I play on it more than I use it for calls. And now that I bought a tablet, I don't even play on it much anymore. Its either in my purse, or on my desk charging at work, and at home, in my purse, or charging in my bedroom, since I use it as my third alarm.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
It's either in my pocket or next to me and I've just gotten into the habit of taking it with me.  DH has a holster for his so it will clip to his belt since keeping it in his pocket as he works isn't practical or comfortable as he's working.  (It's not a work issued phone but he does need it for work).  I have a holster too but usually only use it if I'm not wearing pants with a pocket. 

When I go to church, the phone is put on silent and tucked into my purse.  That is the only time I will not answer it if I get a text/call. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mikayla

For me, the deciding factor is whether I have my purse with me.  I usually do, so that's where the phone is.  Otherwise, it's at home charging.

I can't do the pocket thing, because I keep butt dialing everyone.  I know I can turn it off or lock it, but if I do all that, I'm not going to be using it anyway. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
In car: In one of the cup holders.

Just an FYI if you live in a place with a cell phone/electronic devices while driving ban.  At least here in Ontario, people who have been pulled over for something else have had the charge added because the phone was out and accessible.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Barney girl

I've been wondering about this this last week. We had a business recovery plan run through the other day and as a result decided that we should keep our phones with our contacts with us at all times. Easily enough said, but I often don't have pockets and may be away from my desk in a meeting.
I thought I'd buy a phone case with a shoulder strap, but I've not seen any in the shops and those I've seen on line don't look very good.
I could make one, but that wouldn't look all that professional.