Author Topic: S/O from I don't text--How do you keep your cell phone with you at all times?  (Read 2574 times)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
When I'm out and about, I have it clipped to my pocket with this holster.  At home, I just leave it on an end table because that keeps it in hearing range for me.

Of course, it doesn't really matter because I don't get many calls on it.  I call my best friend in the evenings and my parents on the weekends, and that's about it for my cell use.  I'm more likely to talk to friends via Facebook anyway.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

mmswm

I can answer this.

Up until about a year ago, I had a no frills pay-as-you-go cell phone. I had it with me some of the time. I would need to remember to leave the house with it if I needed it that day. It was a bit of big deal to make sure it was charged/sound on/with me. I lost it in the bottom of bags for days or weeks and wouldn't notice it was missing until it had run out of batteries and then it was extra hard to find because I couldn't call it. It was useful a few times a month and worth the $10/month I paid for it. My husband had a similiar phone.

Then I bought top of the line smartphones for us. Now my phone is always with me. It is my camera, my email, my texting, my maps, my clock, my cooking timer, my internet surfer (though I am on my laptop right now as it is easier for typing) my flashlight, my backup hard drive, my video player, studfinder, pedometer, game player, ereader, Netflix viewed, bus schedule, library catalouge etc.... I check it all-the-time. Because I use it for everything and all the time, any annoyance of keeping it with me is negated. I set it up with a tracker so I can find it from my husband's phone or from my laptop and it is never missing for more than a couple hours (usually on a shelf in the house somewhere). It is next to me in the house, in my bag at school, in my purse or the counsel in the car, in my hands in the bus, in my pocket when walking...etc...

Don't forget TV remote.  Yup, there's an app that you can install that will allow your iPhone to act as a remote for your television.  At least with the TV/cable/netflix set up that we have here.  I use my phone to control the whole set up.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
When I am out & about, I have a belt/waistband carrier that holds the phone (if I'm wearing pants without pockets), a pocket on the outside of my purse (if I'm not wearing something with pockets), in my pocket (if it is large enough that the danged phone doesn't fall out as I move around), or otherwise in reach (hanging from a cell phone carrier with a strap that hooks around my purse strap - like a mini-purse just for my cell phone).

At home - the waistband carrier, my robe pocket (large, deep, and loose), a lanyard around my neck, or a small cell phone carrier that also goes around my neck but has padding to protect the phone from bumps as it bounces around), or on the charger NEAR me.

It is also my alarm clock (I will apparently turn off other alarm clocks in my sleep) because I have to wake up enough to unlock the phone so that I can dismiss the alarm.  It takes about five steps - by which time I am awake enough to realize that it is morning and I need to get up instead of just slapping the snooze button & going back to sleep.

I've thought about the bra thing - but I sweat too much in that area - so it seems like a bad idea.  The lanyard may not be that good an idea - but if you have no pockets, no waistband or belt, and don't want to carry a purse - that's about the last option.

I suppose that I could wear a zippered pouch around my waist - but I hate the way that they look.......and they aren't that easy to get to at times (especially when heading to the eHellion's room -  >:D) - aka the bathroom, powder room, toilet, or brb - bio break.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Deetee

• Super Hero!
I can answer this.

Up until about a year ago, I had a no frills pay-as-you-go cell phone. I had it with me some of the time. I would need to remember to leave the house with it if I needed it that day. It was a bit of big deal to make sure it was charged/sound on/with me. I lost it in the bottom of bags for days or weeks and wouldn't notice it was missing until it had run out of batteries and then it was extra hard to find because I couldn't call it. It was useful a few times a month and worth the $10/month I paid for it. My husband had a similiar phone.

Then I bought top of the line smartphones for us. Now my phone is always with me. It is my camera, my email, my texting, my maps, my clock, my cooking timer, my internet surfer (though I am on my laptop right now as it is easier for typing) my flashlight, my backup hard drive, my video player, studfinder, pedometer, game player, ereader, Netflix viewed, bus schedule, library catalouge etc.... I check it all-the-time. Because I use it for everything and all the time, any annoyance of keeping it with me is negated. I set it up with a tracker so I can find it from my husband's phone or from my laptop and it is never missing for more than a couple hours (usually on a shelf in the house somewhere). It is next to me in the house, in my bag at school, in my purse or the counsel in the car, in my hands in the bus, in my pocket when walking...etc...

Don't forget TV remote.  Yup, there's an app that you can install that will allow your iPhone to act as a remote for your television.  At least with the TV/cable/netflix set up that we have here.  I use my phone to control the whole set up.

Really? Oh if my phone would do that, I would be thrilled. We currently have 4 "remotes" TV, cable, Wii (netflix), and Blu-ray. If I could get rid of any of those, i would be happy.

However, I know some of my remotes are IR and my phone doesn't have that.

mmswm

I can answer this.

Really? Oh if my phone would do that, I would be thrilled. We currently have 4 "remotes" TV, cable, Wii (netflix), and Blu-ray. If I could get rid of any of those, i would be happy.

However, I know some of my remotes are IR and my phone doesn't have that.

I've just moved back into my parents' home, and my father is the type that must have all the newest, coolest, most cutting edge gadgets on the market.  As soon as he got me my phone, he loaded two different apps.  One controls the Roku, the other the cable.  Both will adjust volume.  I think both apps come from the actual providers (Roku, ATT).
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

sunnygirl

Oh that's brilliant, thanks for sharing. One of my remotes broke and I could never be bothered to go buy a new one. Will check that out.

JoW

I'm single.  I live alone in a 2-story house.  I have a bad leg.  I do not have a land-line phone.  That combination gives me a healthy fear of falling and being unable to get help.  The only time my phone is not in reach is when I'm at my health club. 

I have heard a couple stories of people who were in automobile accidents, were trapped in the damaged car, and the phone bounced out of reach.  That's also scary and another reason to keep the phone attached to my clothing.   

I have a relatively small phone, not a smart phone.  It lives in a holster that clips to the waistline of my pants.  I move it around my waist depending on exactly what I'm doing and what its digging into.  It spends the night on my nightstand.  Thats also where I charge it.

Very few people have my number.  I get almost no calls. 

LadyJaneinMD

The darn thing is a pain in the neck. But I know other people have their phones on them all the time, readily available. How on earth do you do this?

Interesting question.  I have a friend who *needs* to have her cell phone close at all times, because she uses it to call Metro Access and it's too easy to miss her ride if she doesn't pick up in time.  However, she's also a larger lady (like me), and as we all know, pockets are inconvenient, and not found in all women's clothing.  Also, those cell phone belt holders don't work when you don't wear a belt and don't tuck in your long blouse.  In her purse, the ring goes unheard, besides, digging it out of there is a pain.
Over the years, she has dropped and broken or left her cell phone in many various places.

So, as a seamstress, I set myself to the task of making her a cell phone case that she can carry on her body, separate from her purse, but not in the way.  You can see them at sewingatlarge.blogspot.com
It's a little case, with plastic canvas on the front to protect the cell phone screen from most damage, and the cord is long enough to go over her head, across her chest, and the phone hangs right next to the hip - high enough to not get in the way when she sits, low enough to not look silly. 

She hasn't lost a phone since then.   I'm very proud of myself for that.

sunnygirl

The only place I make sure never to bring my phone is into the bathroom (meaning, a proper bathroom, not, like, when I go to the ladies when I'm out). Since iPhones are apparently closely related to Gremlins when it comes to water.  ::)

You only need to learn that lesson once.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
When I'm out and about it's in my purse, when I'm at work it's on my desk, and when I'm at home it's on the kitchen counter. The funny thing is that even though it's a smart phone I pretty much only use it as a phone and I only answer calls when I recognize the number. Even though it doesn't get that much use, I feel naked without it.  :)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
The only place I make sure never to bring my phone is into the bathroom (meaning, a proper bathroom, not, like, when I go to the ladies when I'm out). Since iPhones are apparently closely related to Gremlins when it comes to water.  ::)

You only need to learn that lesson once.

They do seem to think that they are competing in the Summer Olympics on the swim team, don't they?

If you sew - your local quilt shop may have patterns to use for cell phones or cell phones & an ID card, too that can be set up with a back belt loop to string your belt through or an over the shoulder or around the neck length cord (or buy a lanyard with a safety clip that breaks if it catches on something if you fear strangling).  A little quilt batting or plastic mesh from the sewing store will beef it up to protect against bumping into things.

I've made several - but need to keep trying to get on that I like enough to keep.  The others have been taken to various group meetings where they were happily added to a pile of door prizes by the organization leader. 

I only want to wear perfection (as in "perfect for me") and so far, I'm finding that a commercial model that clips onto my waist band is just a bit easier to remember to wear or carry than the neck strap version (and I don't use a belt as they dig into my waist in an uncomfortable way).  I think the longer strap to go across body might be what I'm looking for.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

JustCallMePat

I'll take a slightly different track here.  I'm forbidden to carry a cell phone at work.  I frequently visit other job sites and the same applies there.  All electronic devices must be left in the car - absolutely no exceptions ever for any reason whatsoever.  I'm in the habit of never putting it in my pocket or purse as it'll end up being carried into the office and then there's h*ll to pay with the explanations! So it lives in the car console.  I carry a one-way pager so that if DD's school needs to reach me, they can in an emergency.  When I leave work, I check my email and any voice messages.  Replies have to wait until I'm at my PC at home as I hate typing anything other than the briefest of texts on the phone.  When I get home, it comes out of my hand and onto the charger at the kitchen desk.  I find it all quite liberating!  My friends and family don't see how I manage, what with not being reachable 24/7/365 and refusing to interact with the universe via texting.

If anyone needs to reach me, they can call the land line, or leave a message on my cell and I'll get back to them... eventually!  ;)  I'm much better at emails as I probably check that a dozen times after coming home.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Mine is pretty much attached at the hip.

Guided Reading - Math Small groups it is on my small groups table with PresenTimer running (sounds a bell kids have 1 minute to clean sounds 2 bells they have to be standing frozen ready to rotate.)

All other times at school it is on my hip - I use it to do various tasks all day - set to do not disturb so calls don't come through but I can keep the volume on.

Driving - clipped to my the CD holder under my radio. I use WAZE GPS even when driving home from work. Waze uses real time data from users. The other day part of my usual route home was flooded and it redirected me to safer way home.  I also use podcaster, to listen to podcasts as I drive. I set it up when I get in the car and it runs without me having to do anything. Less distracting than the radio because I pick podcast that aren't going to tick me off. Radio I tend to get ticked off at the DJ's or sick of the music.

Home Day - on my belt. Again I use it to
Listen to podcasts, audio books
As my Roku Remote - DVP Remote is much better than the Roku app in my oppinion.
Play games
Look stuff up

Home night - Plugged in and charging  doubles as an alarm.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jovismom

I seldom carry a purse and I'm not comfortable with my phone in my pocket.  I have a leather holster that clips to the waistband of whatever I'm wearing.  I clip it on first thing in the morning and take it off last thing at night.  During the day I never even think about it....unless I need my phone.

Jones

I lost my ID and cash once when I was a teen.! Was enough to learn my lesson I have become accustomed to keeping it in a clutch (in a purse) within my sight at all times when in public. When I got my first cell phone at 18 it seemed natural to keep said phone with it, in the purse.

I now have two cells, one a work phone I am required to keep close and one my personal number I use for all non-work stuff. My purse has two internal phone-size pockets so this works well. I use one of the phones for my morning alarm and the other for meds alarm. When you depend on a tool like that, it becomes an extra limb. At home I do relax it a bit, leaving the phones in one room while I'm on the other end of the house, and check on them periodically.