Author Topic: Thank you E-Hell, for helping me to help my friends! :)  (Read 1890 times)

Bottlecaps

Thank you E-Hell, for helping me to help my friends! :)
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »
I've still got a good bit to learn, but I want to thank E-Hell for letting me help my friends - and to make sure the advice I gave her was OK. She was invited to a baby shower for (I kid you not) the daughter of a random (presumably very distant, since she included "not even related" in the story) cousin whom she had only met briefly at a function. She said, "Nothing screams 'give me stuff' ('stuff' replacing another word she used)," like an invite like this. I told her, "Politely decline to attend and do not send a thing. Do not feed the gimme pigs."
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Thank you E-Hell, for helping me to help my friends! :)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
Yay!  I love passing on spine-stiffening advice, it makes me a feel a little bit more complete.  Congrats on helping another one not feed the gimmee pigs!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Thank you E-Hell, for helping me to help my friends! :)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »
You absolutely gave her good advice, right on the mark. As we always say "an invitation is not a summons," and its also not an invoice.  A polite decline, perhaps with a "congratulations" and/or "I wish every happiness to your growing family" is more then enough response.