Author Topic: S/O Reading Pet Peeves - How Accurate is This Book?  (Read 9498 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: S/O Reading Pet Peeves - How Accurate is This Book?
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »
I read a book a few months ago that some very strange geography involved.   It was set in Colorado, and the main characters lived in a house deep in the mountains.  So deep that nobody could ever find them by accident.  There was nothing to show that there was anyone living in that area.  Except that they had electricity, cable or dish TV, and the Internet.  There were no major roads near them either, and the nearest neighbors were miles away.  Oh, and both Denver and Boulder were only about an hour away.  I suppose they could have been living inside Rocky Mountain National Park? 

The other thing that made me laugh about the book was that I don't think the author had ever visited the Rockies.  There are a few passages where the two main characters go hiking for hours and hours, always heading upward (never downwards or laterally), and yet never hit a peak or even tree line.  I know that there are quite a few peaks above 14,000 feet in the Rockies, but sooner or later you have to get some change of scenery!

Carotte

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
And let's not even talk about the fact that CSI has it raining almost every week...in the desert...where we get fewer than 10 inches of rain a year.

CSI the show? I've re-watched the last 3 or 4 seasons not long ago and I don't think there was more than one episode where it rained.
Now the rest of the show we could write books and books about it (although I think I've seen the las Vegas CSIs more frequently in whole-body combination than the rest of the CSI's combined. I love how the coroner gets to the scene in a suit and heels  ::)

Ereine

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:12 AM »
For the waltzing, I don't know how accurate Wikipedia is on this (though they cite several sources) but according to them they started waltzing at Almack's before 1816, though the dance resembled polka more (I guess that makes the romances where the heroine is excited to be pressed against the hero inaccurate). And they were very much concerned about probriety, apparently they would meet every week to decide if there was someone who had mis-behaved during the week whose voucher should be taken back.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Back in the big, bad 1970s, there was a fascinating novel with intended inaccuracies. 

The book was 'The Park is Mine' and was about a terrorist taking over Central Park.  The inaccuracies were there to prevent anyone from actually trying to do it. 

Those of us who knew the park well had great fun taking walks with the book and figuring out what the author did. 

AnnaJ

« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
And let's not even talk about the fact that CSI has it raining almost every week...in the desert...where we get fewer than 10 inches of rain a year.

CSI the show? I've re-watched the last 3 or 4 seasons not long ago and I don't think there was more than one episode where it rained.
Now the rest of the show we could write books and books about it (although I think I've seen the las Vegas CSIs more frequently in whole-body combination than the rest of the CSI's combined. I love how the coroner gets to the scene in a suit and heels  ::)

I watched the first several (4? 5?) seasons and the directors seemed to be in love with the neon lights reflecting off of puddles and wet pavement...glad they have changed.  And yes, I always want to see how well those high heels function in decrepit alleys and sandy, weedy empty lots  :D.