Author Topic: Poor Etiquette to Call if I Really Want the Job?  (Read 1785 times)

travestine

Poor Etiquette to Call if I Really Want the Job?
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »
On Friday the 1st, I went for an interview for a job I really want - best store of the type I specialize in in the area, pay is a 1/3 higher per hour, plus commission, very highly respected. I was immediately asked for a second interview, which I had the next day. It's now a week later and I haven't heard a word.

Should I call, thank them for the interviews and ask when they will be making their decision? Or should I assume I didn't get the job? It's driving me nuts!
"A "no" uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a "yes" merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."
  Mahatma Ghandi

onyonryngs

Re: Poor Etiquette to Call if I Really Want the Job?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »
Have you sent a thank you email to the interviewer?  You can follow up that way and they might respond back.

Margo

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
I don't think it would be poor etiquette. I think a week is a reasonable time to follow up, ask whether a decision has been made.

Worst case scenario, if they tell you you didn't get it, you can ask them if they will keep your details in case a further job comes up.

As an employer, I would see a follow up call a week after the interview as a positive thing (unless you'd already specifically been told a later time for when the choice  would be made.

Good luck!

travestine

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:33:53 PM »
I think my mistake was not asking when they plan to make their decision. That way, I would have known whether they were in a hurry to fill the position.

I don't have an e-mail address (they contacted me by phone), so I don't want to see stalkerish by looking one up. I do have to go out today, so I could pass by and drop off a (rather late) thank you card. Hopefully, that will get a response.
"A "no" uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a "yes" merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."
  Mahatma Ghandi

Mrs. Tilney

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
I don't have an e-mail address (they contacted me by phone), so I don't want to see stalkerish by looking one up. I do have to go out today, so I could pass by and drop off a (rather late) thank you card. Hopefully, that will get a response.

Dropping off the thank-you card  sounds like a good plan, but finding an email address wouldn't appear stalkerish. In general, people doing the hiring expect interviewees to have done some research into the company, and discovering email addresses on the website seems perfectly normal.

onyonryngs

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »

Dropping off the thank-you card  sounds like a good plan, but finding an email address wouldn't appear stalkerish. In general, people doing the hiring expect interviewees to have done some research into the company, and discovering email addresses on the website seems perfectly normal.

This.  They expect you to Google and to find out what you can about the company.

Penguin_ar

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:20:33 AM »
I would not call- it can put the interviewer on the spot, and they may be too busy to comfortably answer you.

However, it is normal (and good practise) to send a thank you email or card soon after interview (usually within 24 hours, but it would be fine to send it now). In it, thank them for their time, mention a couple of your strong points again, say how keen you are to work there, and ask for their timeline.

travestine

Re: Poor Etiquette to Call if I Really Want the Job? - Update
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:03:01 AM »
Well, I got my courage up, figured at this point I had little to lose, and called the store manager. She said that they were still interviewing and I said I was sure they had received hundreds of resumes (this would be a highly sought after position), and I reiterated how I knew from my research that theirs was the most prestigious salon to work for and how honoured I would be for the opportunity. She said she would pass that along to the other manager I interviewed with and said they would be in touch.

Now, I wait (again).
  Mahatma Ghandi

RooRoo

• Im out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »
In the meantime, http://www.askamanager.org/

A wonderful website with lots of good advice about job searching, dealing with HR, and other workplace related things. Including how not to irritate the folks you want to hire you!

Oops, I apologize; that sounded as if I think you acted in an irritating way - I don't. Please forgive me. It's early, and I haven't finished my tea.  :-[

And I'm putting out positive energy that you get the job - and that it's a great place to work!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:19:41 AM by RooRoo »
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

travestine

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
Since the worst thing about job hunting is not hearing back (especially after two enthusiastic interviews). When I owned my own business, I always at least sent an e-mail to those who applied (or say in the posting that only those considered would be contacted) and called those I'd interviewed. During previous job hunting efforts, I know it's been common only to contact the successful candidate and leave the others guessing.

This way, they know I'm keen and I'm expecting to hear, so I'm pretty sure they'll contact me one way or another.
  Mahatma Ghandi

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:19:58 PM »
OP – I understand how frustrating it is to wait to hear something after a great interview, or even several great interviews.

I also agree that employers should let everyone they interview know when a decision has been made.  But that’s not the way it always works today.

It used to be people would get form letters …..”Although we were impressed…………if other opportunities arise….etc.”  Nowadays employers don’t have the time and resources (staff) to get back with everyone. They also don’t want phone calls asking “When do you expect to make a decision?” or “Could you tell me why I wasn’t selected?”  That really puts them on the spot, and takes up too much time.

There are so many people applying for fewer jobs these days.  A friend who is starting to interview applicants for an entry-level clerical position told me that got over 400 resumes.  While most (I think she said 340) were weeded out, it still takes a lot of time.

I would bet that everyone they interviewed "really wants the job".One thing is certain:  if they want to make an offer, they will contact you.

In the future, try to find out at the end of the interview when they expect to make a decision.  Sometimes “in a few weeks” is the best they can tell you.

I hope you hear something positive!  Meanwhile, keep looking – there may be something out there that would be a better fit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:22:56 PM by oceanus »