Author Topic: Is this common?  (Read 3127 times)

snappylt

Re: Is this common?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 10:25:55 PM »
Let's say that the OP does ask around and still cannot identify who sent the magnet.

Would it be rude of the OP to write a short polite note to the senders saying that she is sorry her memory is so unreliable, but she is just not recognizing their names and asking them to help her remember them?

(I'm thinking that I'd be tempted to just ignore the magnet, but if I was feeling a little feisty and had no luck identifying them by asking around, I might want to go ahead and ask them who they are.)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »
I agree with PPs - don't worry about it.

OTOH, is it possible that they're using their "long" (legal) names when you're accustomed to addressing them by their nicknames?  I'm only asking because we once got an wedding invitation (not a STD) from a James and an Alicia and I didn't recognise the names at all - until I clued-in that we knew James as Jim, and Alicia as her middle-name Carrie.  I was baffled for about 20 minutes...

I realize this isn't likely because the STD has their photo included.  STDs don't need a reply in any case.

m2kbug

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
Would it be rude of the OP to write a short polite note to the senders saying that she is sorry her memory is so unreliable, but she is just not recognizing their names and asking them to help her remember them?

(I'm thinking that I'd be tempted to just ignore the magnet, but if I was feeling a little feisty and had no luck identifying them by asking around, I might want to go ahead and ask them who they are.)

I think this might hit the realm of rude.  I don't think I would write a note explaining I have no idea who they are, tempting as it may be to do so, to solve the mystery.  I would err on the notion that a STD or invitation was being sent to obscure family members on the prompting of the parents or close relatives that do know you...thus making sure everyone is included.  I would just try to solve the mystery when talking to my parents or siblings or friends.  I imagine upcoming nuptials would come up or they're just as baffled as me.  The bride and groom don't need to know you have no idea who they are. 

lurkerwisp

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
My guess is neighbour's kid.

I don't want to go into too many details about where I live and what they look like.  You'll just have to trust me that it's not at all probable that either member of this couple is related to my neighbors.

Facebook stalking has lead me to absolutely 0 connections between this couple and me, so I'm going to assume they're somehow mistaken in sending it to me and just forget about it.  :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
My guess is neighbour's kid.

I don't want to go into too many details about where I live and what they look like.  You'll just have to trust me that it's not at all probable that either member of this couple is related to my neighbors.

Facebook stalking has lead me to absolutely 0 connections between this couple and me, so I'm going to assume they're somehow mistaken in sending it to me and just forget about it.  :)

I woudl have done the same thing.  But please keep us informed if you get an invite to the wedding!

Slightly OT: I once received a christmas card and the name on the return address meant nothing to me. It turns out it was a close friend from college, who I had lost touch with. She had gotten divorced, and COMPLETELY changed her name, first, middle and last.  Say she started out as Sue Jones, then Sue Jones Smith, and was now Myrtle Ann Fletcher. I'm still not quite sure why she changed her name as she still lived minutes from her ex, and I know him well enough to know there wasn't anyting scary involved that would have necessiated that. But she was always a bit "odd" so I just chalked it up to that.