Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

s/o of "No ties, No jeans" -- "Dress to Impress!"

<< < (2/4) > >>

Yvaine:
I'd go cocktail and sparkly.

auntmeegs:

--- Quote from: Aeris on February 08, 2013, 07:06:36 PM ---Weren't you upset not too long ago about an invitation dress code that was too specific, and therefore offended you? Now this dress code is not specific enough, and therefore offends you? It seems quite difficult to get it just right.

I don't see the big deal. It sounds like it means 'fun party dresses'. I imagine the 7th graders involved have a sense of what it means, and a million years ago when I was in middle school the bar/bat mitzvah dress codes were definitely targeting the youngster invitees much more than the adults.

--- End quote ---

POD.  I don't get where the mystery is.  It surprises me that there seems to be so much confusion on how to dress for certain events.

gramma dishes:
What does LBD mean?

gellchom:

--- Quote from: auntmeegs on February 08, 2013, 08:02:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Aeris on February 08, 2013, 07:06:36 PM ---Weren't you upset not too long ago about an invitation dress code that was too specific, and therefore offended you? Now this dress code is not specific enough, and therefore offends you? It seems quite difficult to get it just right.

I don't see the big deal. It sounds like it means 'fun party dresses'. I imagine the 7th graders involved have a sense of what it means, and a million years ago when I was in middle school the bar/bat mitzvah dress codes were definitely targeting the youngster invitees much more than the adults.

--- End quote ---

POD.  I don't get where the mystery is.  It surprises me that there seems to be so much confusion on how to dress for certain events.

--- End quote ---

:) I'm not "upset" by either of the invitations!  Or offended, or annoyed, or anything else. 

I just posted, on both occasions, because this is a topic that comes up from time to time.  People who are hosting events and are wondering how to word invitations come here looking for discussions on the subject.  People tell them how things would look/sound to them and share their experiences.  Look how often people ask things like "what us the proper way to ask for cash?"  That one has very little difference of opinion.  But there are other subjects, like cash bars or mothers hosting showers, that elicit conflicting responses.  It's helpful when planning to hear points of view we never would have guessed. 

In this case, someone thinking, "The usual attire words are so dull - let's get creative!!  People will love it!" will learn that not all their guests will, and for reasons they didn't anticipate.  As I thought I wrote above, it's not just the lack of clarity I don't care for, it's also the attitude that peaches described so well.  As to any confusion, I do know how to navigate that.  But inexperienced guests might not and may be worried that they will go wrong. I would think most hosts would like to avoid that. 

Learning from each other's experiences and perspectives is what makes this forum so useful and interesting.  I know I've found it very valuable many times.

P.s.  LBD = little black dress 

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: gellchom on February 08, 2013, 09:44:11 PM ---
P.s.  LBD = little black dress

--- End quote ---

Oh ... *sound of head smack in the background* :-[ 

I should have known that.  Thank you!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version