Author Topic: Count your Blessings  (Read 10157 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Count your Blessings
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
I learned it that way too, but in public schools so religion didn't play any part of it. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dalek

• Am not amused!
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
I guess being a pastor means you make your church members feel better by being very hands on and involved. He/she is probably used to turning something negative or tragic into something positive. It may just be a force of habit.

However, people ( whether or not they're in ministry) need to understand that not everyone can turn off their feelings like robots. For some, FB is their only outlet. As long as they're not sympathy jacking someone else's status, the critical person should just block and ignore.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
I heard the happy/mad/sad version in preschool (no religious affiliation) in New England.  I rather like the rogue version  ;)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
I heard the happy/mad/sad version in preschool (no religious affiliation) in New England.  I rather like the rogue version  ;)

Well, at least the 'rogue' version is a little more honest and acknowledges that people DO actually have feelings other than just
 "happy"!   :D  It sort of validates the children's real feelings.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:43 PM »
I wouldn't love the idea of reinforcing foot stomping when a kid is angry.

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
I wouldn't love the idea of reinforcing foot stomping when a kid is angry.

What version is that?  The one I learned and the one on my nursery rhymes CD in my car for DS goes, "if you are happy and you know it stamp your feet."

Florida

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

It reminds me of a song I learned when I was a child.  "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.  If you're mad and you know it stomp your feet.  If you're sad and you know it, say 'boo hoo'."  Something like that.  ...

It's okay not to be happy all the time.  It's okay to be sad or mad or frustrated.  I don't like the idea that people have to incessantly give themselves pep talks, listen to pep talks or suppress their true emotions.  It makes me want to primal scream on their behalf  ;D    Of course, I know no one hear has suggested it isn't okay to be sad or frustrated, but it bears saying that sometimes a vent is just a vent.  Don't correct the vent, just let it be.  :)

Veronica, I think she's referring to Tabby Uprising's comment.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »
There are verses about sad, angry, tired, friendly, etc. the lyrics can be googled.