General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Ugh! Begging for a Dream.

<< < (2/5) > >>

blarg314:

At this point I think a straightforward "Please remove me from your mailing list for donations" would be appropriate by this point.

White Lotus:
Indiegogo and Kickstarter -- there are probably more -- generally fund artistic efforts and generally give donors a chance to get involved in a project and follow it.  It can be fun for those who enjoy new music, or independent film, or new books, games or technology.  It can even be a way to learn about project development and production by getting involved in someone else's project.  Successful crowd source fundraising requires plans, budgets, samples, concentrated publicity campaigns, and using premiums to get a support base of people enthusiastic about the project.  What I see here is somebody doing it wrong.  I don't see any talk of a link to sample, I don't see a specific project description or a budget.  I don't see a premium for supporters at different levels.  What I see sounds like a kids's little hobby project, and not a serious artistic endeavor.  What I see is an attempt to solicit donations rather than sponsorship and project or artist support.  I wouldn't send this young woman any money because she hasn't done her homework.  I also wouldn't criticize crowd funding generally just because some people don't know how to use it.

blue2000:

--- Quote from: White Lotus on February 10, 2013, 12:07:06 AM ---Indiegogo and Kickstarter -- there are probably more -- generally fund artistic efforts and generally give donors a chance to get involved in a project and follow it.  It can be fun for those who enjoy new music, or independent film, or new books, games or technology.  It can even be a way to learn about project development and production by getting involved in someone else's project.  Successful crowd source fundraising requires plans, budgets, samples, concentrated publicity campaigns, and using premiums to get a support base of people enthusiastic about the project.  What I see here is somebody doing it wrong.  I don't see any talk of a link to sample, I don't see a specific project description or a budget.  I don't see a premium for supporters at different levels.  What I see sounds like a kids's little hobby project, and not a serious artistic endeavor.  What I see is an attempt to solicit donations rather than sponsorship and project or artist support.  I wouldn't send this young woman any money because she hasn't done her homework.  I also wouldn't criticize crowd funding generally just because some people don't know how to use it.

--- End quote ---

I agree. Fundraising can be either great or terrible depending on the circumstances. It sounds like she is leaning towards terrible with all the reminder notes. Starting a dream project shouldn't have everyone around you running for cover. :P

And yes, it is fine to say "Sorry, I am unable to donate. Best of luck to you!"

I do have to wonder what the heck she is spending this money on. Sure, the big stars spend megabucks on CDs, but lots of people still record their first demo CDs in their garage/basement. There is even an RPM Challenge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Challenge) going on in some cities right now, much like NaNoWriMo - the idea is to record a CDs worth of songs/music/whatever in a month and share it with everyone else at the end. There are also music sites that will sell independently-made CDs. If this is truly her dream and she has no money, why isn't she starting with the cheaper options??

CaffeineKatie:
I can see using Indiegogo, etc. to send out ONE solicitation--most of the ones I've received/read also promise investors/donors a small related gift in return for their support of the project listed.  It's easy to delete if you aren't interested and a potentially creative way to raise support for interesting projects.  HOWEVER, the repeated nagging/nudging/demanding--bad, bad, bad!  Yep, I'd block these two, no explanation needed.

MrTango:
This sounds like a perfect situation in which to use your email site/software's Spam filters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version