Author Topic: Why yes I'll help you buy a new car!  (Read 6288 times)

Maggie

Why yes I'll help you buy a new car!
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
I don't know if anyone has seen this or not yet but yesterday I saw a commercial for certaincarregistry.com.  Yes you can help an individual  buy his very own new car.  The commercial mentons dad buying the engine for graduation, perhaps grandma contributing a door for a birthday and on and on.  At the end of the commercial it says and all you have to is pick up the keys and drive away.

I cannot imagine helping buying someone a new car.  I know it goes along with the honeymoon registries and all of those but really what are we coming too?  The reason I put this in this category is because I can definitely see myself saying "Why would I want to do that?"

Any thoughts?

Momiitz

Re: Why yes I'll help you buy a new car!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
What's so funny is when I checked out on of those car registry websites, most of the people registered were asking total strangers to fund their car.

One guy did not want to give up his gas guzzling sports car but wanted a second car that got better gas mileage. Another girl said her car now was minutes from car death, it could go anytime and it was her dream to have a new car. I almost wrote in her comments to start a savings account. But I didn't because it would have been rude and I'm sure it would have gone over her head.

From what I've seen I think it will be a flop. A lot of people are thinking "I can't afford a new car for myself and they want me to buy them one."  Lots of entitled people out there. Next it will be buy me a house registry.

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:21:18 AM »
I am sure that buy me a house already exists in some form or fashion.  Probably in those wedding invitations that say we already have everything we need but we can use the money to make a down payment on a home. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »
Please send me the site and person. I am really eager to help give someone a new car. It's been so long since we bought one of our own.

I really feel guilty about not helping many of the other begging/giveme people.

Thank you.

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »
I completely understand your thoughts Luci!  But honestly it was just a commercial on tv.  So now they are running commercials for registry.  However I am sure if you go to www.dodgedartregistry.com you will find some "enterprising" person willing to let you help them buy their brand new car!   

Bottlecaps

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »
Wow. Here me and my boyfriend are, waiting patiently until we get our tax money so we can get a used car, when we could just be on the Internet begging our friends/family/total strangers to fund a brand new one for us. Why in the world didn't we even think of that? Oh yeah, because it's called working hard for what we have, want, or need, and not expecting it to just be handed over to us. *Sigh* The entitlement mentality makes me ashamed of my generation.  :-[
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »
I kind of have mixed feelings.  Couldn't we say that of anything - china, towels, duvet, flatwear - that people should just save up and buy their own instead of registering so other people can buy it?  Not that I particularly like the car registry idea but  there are plenty of people who never get to register for household items because they don't get married - I'd not convinced that makes the people who do register rude.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
I kind of have mixed feelings.  Couldn't we say that of anything - china, towels, duvet, flatwear - that people should just save up and buy their own instead of registering so other people can buy it?  Not that I particularly like the car registry idea but  there are plenty of people who never get to register for household items because they don't get married - I'd not convinced that makes the people who do register rude.

I'm sorta leaning this way.  I think it's crazy to ask total strangers for a new car but if I'm paying for $200 china for a friend's wedding, I wouldn't mind putting that money towards a car, if that's what they prefer.  Either way, it's still $200.   The fact that it's towards a car wouldn't cost me anymore than I'm already willing to give.