Author Topic: Shiny spine moment! (with my mom)  (Read 8306 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Shiny spine moment! (with my mom)
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:50:04 PM »
I had an awesome shiny spine moment this morning!!  With my mother.  I always have a really hard time standing up to her.

I am a little shakey, since it wasn't well received, and I know it is going to continue to come up.  But now that I've stood my ground once, I am hoping it will be easier to stand firm and disengage in the future.

My mom's best friend's daughter is getting married soon.  We've been invited to the wedding and also to the bridal shower.  Unfortunately, the bridal shower is in a few weeks and we just got the invite yesterday.  The BTB and her family are wonderful, gracious people.

I am unable to attend the shower, as I have long-standing plans for the same day involving a much closer personal friend.  I am still planning on attending the wedding, though.

My mother called me this morning about it, and I let her know that I would not be attending, as I already had a commitment.  Well... for the reaction I got, I might have told her that I thought her best friend is an orc and her daughter is an ugly gremlin with hair coming out of her ears and nails for teeth.
I was subjected to the "Sigh of Deep Disappointment" (my mother's trademark guilt-trip starter).  I was reminded how they came to my wedding.  And my baby shower.  And LK's birthday party.  Even though they live 3 hours away and it was inconvenient for them, too.  And I owe it to them.  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.....

"Well, mom, it's just not possible for me to go.  I have had a commitment for that day for over a month.  I have already RSVP'd.  They understand."

I got the "Sigh of Deep Disappointment" again along with the "Well, okay then" (in the tone that communicates that it is Very Not Okay!).

But I won't be bent.  I won't change my plans.  I spoke with the sister of the bride and told her what my plans were and her reaction was extremely gracious and understanding as she said that they will looking forward to catching up at the wedding.

I'm feeling a little bit victorious.

I know it's far from over.  It will come up at least twice between now and then, with my mother calling me, begging me to reconsider.  I've already got my script written for me.
"I'm sorry, that won't be possible."

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Shiny spine moment! (with my mom)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »
STANDING OVATION!!! :D ;D ;D

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with offering an explanation to an old family friend of why I declined an invitation to an important event.  It isn't as if they demanded an explanation of her, she chose to let them know that she would have liked to attend except for her prior commitment.  I think you handled this beautifully Knitterly :)

Knitterly

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
Other than talking to the sister of the bride and explaining your plans, you did well. We are proud.

One thumb and 4 fingers up. One never has to give details that can be argued with.

Dear friend figured that out when the reason for someone's missing a milestone birthday party was the we are putting in a cabinet (that had been sitting on their to-do list for 8 months) Hurt? Yes. She would have been far happier with regrets. Just keep quiet and say, "Regretfully, I will not be able to attend."

Even to mom. My stepmother and mother in law finally understood. Never an argument or discussion after I was 40. Really.

Well, let me clarify.  The sister of the bride is the MOH, so I spoke to her because she was the one to whom I RSVP'd.  Part of me did feel like I owed her a good reason, as what my mother said was true and they had come out to all of the aforementioned events for me.  So when I responded, I let her know why (Ie, I am truly sorry, I won't be able to make it that day.  Another dear friend has a milestone event that day and I have been committed to attending for over a month.) 

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »
Other than talking to the sister of the bride and explaining your plans, you did well. We are proud.

One thumb and 4 fingers up. One never has to give details that can be argued with.

Dear friend figured that out when the reason for someone's missing a milestone birthday party was the we are putting in a cabinet (that had been sitting on their to-do list for 8 months) Hurt? Yes. She would have been far happier with regrets. Just keep quiet and say, "Regretfully, I will not be able to attend."

Even to mom. My stepmother and mother in law finally understood. Never an argument or discussion after I was 40. Really.

Well, let me clarify.  The sister of the bride is the MOH, so I spoke to her because she was the one to whom I RSVP'd.  Part of me did feel like I owed her a good reason, as what my mother said was true and they had come out to all of the aforementioned events for me.  So when I responded, I let her know why (Ie, I am truly sorry, I won't be able to make it that day.  Another dear friend has a milestone event that day and I have been committed to attending for over a month.)

I mean people can say you don't owe someone an explanation all they want, but the reality is that if you are speaking to someone and say you can't attend, it sounds really weird to say "I won't be attending," and then stop.  To me, it would feel really abrupt to not at least tell that person some general comment on how I would have liked to attend and as if I were indicating that the invitation meant very little to me.

mmswm

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
Congrats!  I have found that shiny new spines, like fabulous new shoes, take a little breaking in before they're comfortable to wear.  It will get a little easier every time you use it. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »
Don't forget we have a SHINY SPINE THEME SONG now.  Make sure to hum it while talking to mom :)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
Three cheers for Knitterly!  I am so stealing the Sigh of Deep Disappointment.

MerryCat

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:04:13 AM »
Nice spine! Keep up the good work!

nuit93

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:49:26 PM »
I had an awesome shiny spine moment this morning!!  With my mother.  I always have a really hard time standing up to her.

I am a little shakey, since it wasn't well received, and I know it is going to continue to come up.  But now that I've stood my ground once, I am hoping it will be easier to stand firm and disengage in the future.

My mom's best friend's daughter is getting married soon.  We've been invited to the wedding and also to the bridal shower.  Unfortunately, the bridal shower is in a few weeks and we just got the invite yesterday.  The BTB and her family are wonderful, gracious people.

I am unable to attend the shower, as I have long-standing plans for the same day involving a much closer personal friend.  I am still planning on attending the wedding, though.

My mother called me this morning about it, and I let her know that I would not be attending, as I already had a commitment.  Well... for the reaction I got, I might have told her that I thought her best friend is an orc and her daughter is an ugly gremlin with hair coming out of her ears and nails for teeth.
I was subjected to the "Sigh of Deep Disappointment" (my mother's trademark guilt-trip starter).  I was reminded how they came to my wedding.  And my baby shower.  And LK's birthday party.  Even though they live 3 hours away and it was inconvenient for them, too.  And I owe it to them.  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.....

"Well, mom, it's just not possible for me to go.  I have had a commitment for that day for over a month.  I have already RSVP'd.  They understand."

I got the "Sigh of Deep Disappointment" again along with the "Well, okay then" (in the tone that communicates that it is Very Not Okay!).

But I won't be bent.  I won't change my plans.  I spoke with the sister of the bride and told her what my plans were and her reaction was extremely gracious and understanding as she said that they will looking forward to catching up at the wedding.

I'm feeling a little bit victorious.

I know it's far from over.  It will come up at least twice between now and then, with my mother calling me, begging me to reconsider.  I've already got my script written for me.

Good for you!

(also, I didn't know I had an older sister ;))

Sparkle Star

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:14:11 AM »
Woo-hoo, congrats!  :)
Love, dance and chocolate fudge cake - what more do I need?

POF

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »
Don't forget we have a SHINY SPINE THEME SONG now.  Make sure to hum it while talking to mom :)

I keep imaging this to the them somg from  I dream of jeannie.... dada shiny new spine .. dada da da dadadada.  The snow needs to melt here......

Knitterly

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »

I keep imaging this to the them somg from  I dream of jeannie.... dada shiny new spine .. dada da da dadadada.  The snow needs to melt here......

;D

Now I have it stuck in my head! ;)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »

;D

Now I have it stuck in my head! ;)

me too :)

snappylt

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 01:38:28 PM »
{...snip...}

Knitterly, I'm just interested: has your mother brought up the subject again, as you predicted?  If so, how did it go?