General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Cell phone at store

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sharnita:
"Um, can you give me privacy while I withdraw cash from my account?"

mmswm:

--- Quote from: finecabernet on February 09, 2013, 08:35:01 PM ---This happened while I was withdrawing cash at a machine, not while at the register. Ironically, when I was at the register I had my sister on hold because I didn't want to be rude to the clerk!

--- End quote ---

Then I take back what I said.  The guy was rude.

hyzenthlay:
I would have said 'Don't listen.'

Cell phone conversations in public are perfectly reasonable and polite so long as you are not overly loud, or discussing things which are commonly help to be 'rude.'  And the second condition is marginal at best since other people usually have the option to move away from a conversation they dislike.  In essence they are just like any other public conversation.

OP you probably just ran into some semi-ludite who dislikes cell phones on general principle.

WillyNilly:
I agree he was rude... so long as you are sure your weren't engaging in cell yell*.  Some people truly raise the volume of their voice by 6-25 notches for no reason other then being on a cell phone.  I've literally witnessed people having a normal conversation or chat with someone, then they pick up their cell and THEY SUDDENLY ARE CHATTING VERY LOUDLY, then they hang up, and they resume normal volume.  I honestly don't think people realize they do it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. And convenience stores are small confined spaces, so yelling can be uncomfortable for those around it.

*I'm also presuming you were not engaging in inappropriate private conversation, like about bowel movements or graphic sex or gristly amputations etc since you were discussing travel. I think those topics, in a small convenience store, would be a legitimate reason for someone to politely ask you be more private about your conversation as well.

LilacRosey:
I dont like it when someone I'm helping is talking on their phone but I don't see anything wrong with what you did here at all!, LilacRosey

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version