Author Topic: Cell phone at store  (Read 6094 times)

finecabernet

Cell phone at store
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »
Question for you all (I expect these answers to be mixed). Yesterday we were trying to work out the details of a trip to NYC (we're in Philly, and we knew NYC was going to get a snow storm). My sister and I kept missing each other and she finally got a hold of me while I was in a convenience store. We're talking as I'm hitting the cash machine, and the man next to me says "Could you please keep your conversation private." I was a little startled and just replied "I'm leaving now," to which he replied "good" or "Thank gosh" or something to that equivalent. Since my business was concluded I just left without replying.

Now I could understand him being annoyed if I was holding up a line (I wasn't), or we were in a place where you needed silence or quiet (we weren't), or if I had been talking for an extended period (I wasn't). I thought his hostility (which is how it seemed to me) was surprising and uncalled for.

Thoughts?

mmswm

Re: Cell phone at store
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
I do consider it rude to speak on the phone while at the cash register, but not because of privacy concerns.  I think that by chatting on a cell phone while a store employee is ringing out my purchases, I am telling that person that they are not good enough to deserve my attention.

In the situation you described, I would have told the person on the other end of the call "Can you hold on a few moments while I cash out?" and left the call connected until I was ready to resume the call.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowdragon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
By Cash machine do you mean and ATM or self check out - if so I think he was WAY out of line.  If you were ignoring a person trying to check you out - I can see the person checking you out being annoyed but the guy was not doing that and had no reason to address you. I would not have even bothered answering him.

finecabernet

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »
This happened while I was withdrawing cash at a machine, not while at the register. Ironically, when I was at the register I had my sister on hold because I didn't want to be rude to the clerk!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »
I do consider it rude to speak on the phone while at the cash register, but not because of privacy concerns.  I think that by chatting on a cell phone while a store employee is ringing out my purchases, I am telling that person that they are not good enough to deserve my attention.

In the situation you described, I would have told the person on the other end of the call "Can you hold on a few moments while I cash out?" and left the call connected until I was ready to resume the call.

This is what I do.

I ask them to hold on, put the phone on mute so they don't hear every little thing and put the phone in my pocket until I'm done.  Most people are ok with waiting for a couple of minutes.  If it goes longer than 5 min, you can ask if they wouldn't mind a call back.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
"Um, can you give me privacy while I withdraw cash from my account?"

mmswm

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »
This happened while I was withdrawing cash at a machine, not while at the register. Ironically, when I was at the register I had my sister on hold because I didn't want to be rude to the clerk!

Then I take back what I said.  The guy was rude.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
I would have said 'Don't listen.'

Cell phone conversations in public are perfectly reasonable and polite so long as you are not overly loud, or discussing things which are commonly help to be 'rude.'  And the second condition is marginal at best since other people usually have the option to move away from a conversation they dislike.  In essence they are just like any other public conversation.

OP you probably just ran into some semi-ludite who dislikes cell phones on general principle.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
I agree he was rude... so long as you are sure your weren't engaging in cell yell*.  Some people truly raise the volume of their voice by 6-25 notches for no reason other then being on a cell phone.  I've literally witnessed people having a normal conversation or chat with someone, then they pick up their cell and THEY SUDDENLY ARE CHATTING VERY LOUDLY, then they hang up, and they resume normal volume.  I honestly don't think people realize they do it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. And convenience stores are small confined spaces, so yelling can be uncomfortable for those around it.

*I'm also presuming you were not engaging in inappropriate private conversation, like about bowel movements or graphic sex or gristly amputations etc since you were discussing travel. I think those topics, in a small convenience store, would be a legitimate reason for someone to politely ask you be more private about your conversation as well.

LilacRosey

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »
I dont like it when someone I'm helping is talking on their phone but I don't see anything wrong with what you did here at all!, LilacRosey

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
Ok I missed the fact that you were taking money out from the ATM.

I rescind my statement You=Not rude...Him=rude

Docslady21

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »

He shouldn't be that close when you are at a cash machine. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »

That's where I am getting hung up. 

marcel

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »

That's where I am getting hung up.
I got the impression he was on the machine next to hers.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

delabela

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
I think you were fine, and he was overstepping. 

I will say that I find it strange when people conduct long drawn out conversations in public (not that it sounds like that's what you were doing).