Author Topic: Middle school-is this common?  (Read 1889 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Middle school-is this common?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
For 6th grade (start of Middle school), this would be an ok, if somewhat basic exercise. For 8th grade, not even close.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
I can't speak for your child but I know if my 6th grader came home with that info, I'd be sending an email to the teacher to get clarification on the assignment, saying "I'm confused as to the details my son gave me regarding this assignment, would you mind explaining it to me?"

It could be your daughter was confused. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
It's pretty clear on the guidelines what she wants. She wrote a huge paragraph about she doesn't want to see plagarism and to only use her infomational sheet and nothing else.  Etc Etc.  I wouldn't want to email her since it's middle school now.  It's up to the kid to get clarification if she needs to.   

It could very well be that she wants the kids to only to use the supplied information as suggested for the new common cores.  But it seems odd to supply the answers she wants and using only her infomational sheet.  And not giving a general research text on the topic and let the kids choose what answer and to defend it.  It is just that after seeing the work of the other Social Studies teacher's classes, it's a bit disappointing.  But I am just making sure dd does the best she can under those constraints and get used to having a teacher like that.   I was just wondering if others had a teacher like that and if the assignment given was a common one.  This is the first year in History/Social Studies that she hasn't been able to do her own research, wording etc so it's a bit of an eye opener and very boring for her.  But at least it's a skill set and life lesson to learn. Thanks everyone.

CakeEater

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 03:38:10 AM »
Having taught years 6/7 for many years, I can tell you that there are many kids who struggle with reading multiple sources, writing notes and creating their own piece of writing. I have used work like this many times, and I don't consider it a 'shame'.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
Having taught years 6/7 for many years, I can tell you that there are many kids who struggle with reading multiple sources, writing notes and creating their own piece of writing. I have used work like this many times, and I don't consider it a 'shame'.
I do consider it a shame in my daughter's specific example.  It's the same type of work she had to do all year and her class isn't aimed at struggling kids. (in fact it's the opposite)  After seeing the other teacher's work, I do wish she had that teacher instead.  Her room and work is vibrant with her passion for History.  But as stated over and over, not all teachers will be like that and this is a lesson in itself.